IGNORED

New gas wont start

Wally

Huh. this is odd. cruising neighborhood. Low on gas. Go to corner store get $5 worth. Head home which is about 2-3 blocks and car dies and wont crank. Definitely a gas issue. Fuel filter is dry with nothing in it.

thoughts? even if bad gas would if take hold that quickly

"Crank" is what the starter does to the crankshaft.  First the engine cranks, then it starts.  Are you saying that you have a crank - no start problem?  Or a no crank problem?

Edit - couldn't see your signature until I signed in.  Carbs.  Could be water.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

it wont start. it does crank fine.

took off fuel filter, was a clear OEM one so could see it was clogged. Blew compressed air can into line...very faint out of gas cap area. Can is small and weak though. got a new fuel filter and re-tried. Nothing. Checked line and No gas is coming from tank to fuel pump. 

The fuel pump is was bought new only a year ago so doubt that could be the issue. Will get my big air compressor and blow air back to tank and see if that loosens something up.

The compressor, surprisingly, blew easily to back. Lots of free air flow. Battery hooked up to charger, tried for a couple minutes to start or at least move some gas up to front. wouldnt start. Took lines around fuel filter off to see if any gas at all was coming up front. Its not. Maybe it is the fuel pump. strange.

6 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

If you have a handheld vacuum pump (like a Mighty Vac), you would put it on the outlet of the fuel filter and try drawing fuel into the filter. If it can, then start to suspect the fuel pump.

great idea.

just now noticed i dont have on a Fuel Pump Spacer Insulator Plate between head and pump. that may have caused issue. anyway i have a spacer on the way as i dont have one in my spare parts bin

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, Wally said:

i dont have on a Fuel Pump Spacer Insulator Plate between head and pump.

Without the spacer the pump can't pump at full capacity as the arm is to close to the rondell on your camshaft! Also the pump can get to hot .. then you will need a new pump.. watch out for the cheap pumps on ebay.. they only last for a short time. (I got the original pump on my 240z now for 50+ years..unbelievable!) Get yourself a new nissan orig. pump if it's damaged.

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Get yourself a new nissan orig. pump if it's damaged.

any recommendation on where to buy one? I see zstore is out of them and i cant find one at the 4-5 other places i normally get parts.