IGNORED

Not cooling off

Wally

I have a new vintage air system in my car from ZCD. Looks awesome but its not spitting out cool air, it was around 79ish Fareinheit. I had this professional done by a "Z expert" but he is hours away from where i live.

I used a $20 R134a can with gauge to test pressure. It says on it pressure should be between 30-50 psi. i was at about 120psi. I evacuated it down to normal range.

when i started doing this it was  spitting out a lot of yellow fluid and pressure but when i got it down to around 50ish psi nothing but room temp air was coming out. I am wondering if i should remove everything and start over getting it around 45psi?

Any thoughts

11 minutes ago, Wally said:

I have a new vintage air system in my car from ZCD. Looks awesome but its not spitting out cool air, it was around 79ish Fareinheit. I had this professional done by a "Z expert" but he is hours away from where i live.

I used a $20 R134a can with gauge to test pressure. It says on it pressure should be between 30-50 psi. i was at about 120psi. I evacuated it down to normal range.

when i started doing this it was  spitting out a lot of yellow fluid and pressure but when i got it down to around 50ish psi nothing but room temp air was coming out. I am wondering if i should remove everything and start over getting it around 45psi?

Any thoughts

You vented the refrigerant to the atmosphere?

Watch out, the air police will get you.

The system should have a specified amount of refrigerant required, the documentation that came with it should tell you how much. It can only be charged using a refrigeration machine made for automotive air conditioning systems. A vacuum must be drawn on the system, and then the correct amount of refrigerant is added. 

By messing with the system using the $20 refill can with a gauge you haven't fixed anything, and potentially have made things worse.

The system has two ports, for each side of the loop, the high pressure side, and the low pressure side. Using a proper dual gauge setup for checking and diagnosing air conditioning systems is the only way to check system pressures.

Take the car to a qualified mechanic who has the proper gauges and refrigerant recovery/charging equipment. You don't need a Z expert.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Wally said:

Thanks guy. i have the gauges Zed listed but its probably best i take it to an expert. Dang Youtube. they made it look simple and easy

It isn't really complicated, but some knowledge of how it works, and understanding the components is helpful in making an informed decision  regarding the performance of the system.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got it working. Yeah. However, the AC does cut off sometimes. I was told it was the under the dash knob that control coolness level. (not sure what this part is called)

Anyway, is this something i should look to replace or fix? I looked around on a few sites and didnt see any listed.

Even in an Olde Timey A/C system, there's a sensor attached to the evaporator (cooling) coil and a microswitch or temperature control dial or lever. Just like in your newer automobile... The "knob" came with your new Vintage Air Refrigeration system, correct? You shouldn't need to replace it.

You also need to be more specific - "the AC does cut off sometimes." What do you mean? It stops working entirely? The fan doesn't blow? You can tell that the compressor shuts down? Does it start cooling again at some point? To me, it sounds like the charge is not correct - for some people, it's more difficult to properly charge when the ambient temperature is low (like the "winter" months in Arizona when the ambient temps are in the 70's or 80's (but it still gets to 100 inside the car in the parking lot)).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Figured it out and fixed. It was the thermostat control above the right knee to right of steering column. 

Also, talked to people at autoacsolutions who made AC unit and they have the thermostat units on hand for like $90.

• Like 1