IGNORED

Video - Tightening the Rear Suspension Bolts

SteveJ

After I posted about changing out the inner bushings for the LCAs back in September, @Captain Obviousposed the question, "Did you remember to load the suspension before tightening the bolts?" If I had of bothered the RRTFM (That's re-read...), I maybe would have remembered. 

I figured that I should make a video of tightening the bolts since it may help someone figure out how they can do it. (Hint: Ramps!) I finally got around to editing it enough to post. This also gives you guys something to watch between unwrapping presents and watching football (or cooking the turkey/goose/ham/etc.).

Merry Christmas!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great video - it is important that people understand the need to tighten/torque suspension bushings with the weight of the car sitting on the suspension, so the bushing is clamped down at the center of its up/down movement.  If nothing else take the car to a shop with a drive on lift - and pay them put it up in the air for you. 

My only suggestion is - get yourself a good brass hammer,  to apply to the end of the wrench - and quite beating on your hands.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes- please folks -invest in a good dead blow hammer. It’s great for such jobs as this . A 3lb dead blow is a useful tool and save your hands .

Curious is why you didn’t just drop the car on cylinder blocks to weight it?  It’s tight , but you can slide under there if all you are doing is smacking them tight . 
Just asking - thanks for the video 

Merry Christmas 

25 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Yes- please folks -invest in a good dead blow hammer. It’s great for such jobs as this . A 3lb dead blow is a useful tool and save your hands .

Curious is why you didn’t just drop the car on cylinder blocks to weight it?  It’s tight , but you can slide under there if all you are doing is smacking them tight . 
Just asking - thanks for the video 

Merry Christmas 

It's simple. I have the ramps, and I trust them more than the old cinder blocks I have. I also REALLY appreciate the increased room I have under the car with the ramps. I'm not exactly svelte.

I keep looking at the dead blow hammers at Harbor Freight. It's about time I get one. It's not like it would break my budget.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

What driving characteristics do you get if you torque them while its in the air?

I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking that if you torque in the air, that will twist the bushing upward on each side when the car is on the ground. When the suspension gets loaded further, it may be twisting more than the compliance of the bushing. 

When torqued with weight on the wheel, the suspension is in a neutral position, so the bushing can twist in either direction as the suspension is loaded or unloaded during driving.

Too bad John Coffey is no longer around to give the full answer. 😞 

51 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

It's simple. I have the ramps, and I trust them more than the old cinder blocks I have. I also REALLY appreciate the increased room I have under the car with the ramps. I'm not exactly svelte.

I keep looking at the dead blow hammers at Harbor Freight. It's about time I get one. It's not like it would break my budget.

Another job that I utilize the dead blow is valve adjustments. I probably should make a video now because folks will be wondering . Lol

• Agree 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Another job that I utilize the dead blow is valve adjustments. I probably should make a video now because folks will be wondering . Lol

It's easy to figure out. 

STB “Whack a Mole” - Railway Age

Actually when @240260280 showed me how to do a valve adjustment, there were some lock nuts so tight, both of us were pulling on the wrench to break them loose. I think @Carl Beck has posted in the past about using a brass hammer to help the wrench to encourage the lock nuts to turn.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

It's easy to figure out. 

STB “Whack a Mole” - Railway Age

Actually when @240260280 showed me how to do a valve adjustment, there were some lock nuts so tight, both of us were pulling on the wrench to break them loose. I think @Carl Beck has posted in the past about using a brass hammer to help the wrench to encourage the lock nuts to turn.

Another reason to get to HB ! Lol