IGNORED

Antennae

Wally

I have my antenna hole rubber plugged. But i have the original antenna with cable and i think it all works (i am missing the outer chrome portion that screws on outside car). Wondering what others did. Did you go with A stationary antenna? If you used original where did you mount the electric button to raise lower antenna. I dont have original radio, but a newer one. So would need some kinda button if go electric route. Or did you just rig it so when the radio is turned on the antenna raises and lowers when turned off

Edited by Wally

Testing the OE antenna motor function is pretty easy. It has two power leads, one for going up and one for going down. The antenna motor grounds thru the body. Ground the body and apply power to one lead and then the other but not to both at the same time. When I found my car on the showroom floor many years ago, the dealer had removed the AM radio and installed an 8-track unit. He moved the rocker-style antenna switch to the side of the console where it remains today. If you have the later style slider switch it could probably be mounted in a similar manner.

Let us know which parts of the body mount you have and which ones are needed. I'm sure fellow members can fill in the gaps.

IMG_20221220_105828745.jpg

IMG_20221220_105907457.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Wally said:

i have the oem AM antenna switch….could it be repurposed to work for what i want?

If you have the original antenna switch from the original Z AM radio, it should work just fine.  The switch doesn't care what radio you have.

Edited by psdenno

thanks. i will try to use the existing switch and wiring. I have a couple confusions and tried to # an image for reference. 

1. coming from my back driver side light. There is an open wire. Not sure if it plays into antenna or just tape if off?

2. The two wires from new antenna.

3. Original wiring harness. has a blue, red and 

4. this image got cut off in 1 photo (see 2nd image) but this wire come from the #3 harness and has a bullet connector on it? No idea what its for.

5. this is where i put the black/ground wire from the new antenna.

Any insight into where the new green & red go would be appreciated.

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

Eh.. yeah.. normally a no brainer but if your not a electrician even remotely... let someone else take a look..

If the red and green are the up and down wire of the antenna.. put those on the outer 2  connections of the 3 from the switch.

The middle one gets a pos or minus depending on what your antenna needs to go up or down. See service manual or product papers from the new antenna.. (These are plus i think because the antenna used in these cars is chassis is negative.)

17 hours ago, Wally said:

Original wiring harness. has a blue, red and 

AND..what?? 🙂   (white?) 🙂 

Original the blue wire is the antenna up/down.. i think? pos. 12 v is up on that wire and 0v is down.. 

You need a 12v+ to the (P) contact in the middle of the switch to make it work.. (get it from the fusebox or a existing wire that was used for the old antenna.)

• Like 1