IGNORED

Maintenance crank seal service

Blitzed

Hi All,

Another general maintenance question. The engine developed the dreaded crank seal leak, fling oil all round the engine bay, good times. 

Question: The current crank pully is a triple pully (see pic). Removed the smog pump, removed the air conditioner, running a single belt on the balancer. So can I remove the outer two pullies? Will I need a different length crank bolt to reinstall a single pully? See pics of the current bolt has a thick spacer???

20221031_144628_resized.jpg

20221031_144606_resized.jpg

Wow.. you got a big spacer on there!  Normal would be a 3th of the thickness i think..

11 hours ago, Blitzed said:

So can I remove the outer two pullies?

Never seen these pullies but i think it's a 2 pullie with a single one screwed to it? that one on top (on front) you probably can take off.. Then you can still use the orig. bolt to put it back on the engine, you could check the depth of the hole in the crankshaft to check if there is enough space for the bolt-length.  but i guess that there would be no problem. Make sure you tighten that bolt with a torque wrench (over 200Nm? no don't know howmuch bigfootsquareinch and feets that is haha)

I assume that the whole set of pullies is balanced by balancing the 2 and 1 pullie separate so that would be okay!

Hi All,

Which direction does the oil thrower / slinger reinstall. Cup back or cup forward. Did not pay attention when removed.

Read posts you can remove the oil thrower / slinger. What is the purpose of the part? keep oil off the seal?

image.jpeg

20221102_091604_resized.jpg

Thanks Siteunseen, visual is great as I'm peering through the timing cover crank hole. Got it, so important to part lubrication. 

The dampener looks in go shape but I wouldn't know what is damage or bad. No movement, solid. Is the groove on the back sleeve suppose to be there or is this wear?

20221102_114633_resized.jpg

20221102_114706_resized.jpg

20221102_115616_resized.jpg