IGNORED

I Thought All 240Z's had a Single Key

koreavet

I think that I need some help here. I just got a '70 240z with a locking gas cap as well as Ing,doors hatch and glove box locks and no keys, I was thinking that the keys were the same style as my other cars.

1) 1977 810 Dubble sidded single key.

2) 1976 280z dubble sidded single key.

3) 1971/2 240z ? (no key)

which keys do I need to find for my 1970 24oz HLS30-20387

and dose anyone know the year/month of that vin?

I got this car in a storage deal, I have to give the motor & trans back but get to keep the body.

Originally posted by BartZ240

I think that I need some help here. I just got a '70 240z with a locking gas cap as well as Ing,doors hatch and glove box locks and no keys, I was thinking that the keys were the same style as my other cars.

1) 1977 810 Dubble sidded single key.

2) 1976 280z dubble sidded single key.

3) 1971/2 240z ? (no key)

which keys do I need to find for my 1970 24oz HLS30-20387

and dose anyone know the year/month of that vin?

I got this car in a storage deal, I have to give the motor & trans back but get to keep the body.

Check www.ZHome.com for a registry of early Z cars. You can get a pretty good idea of production date. Once you get the doors open you can also check the Data tag on the drivers door jam.

The locking gas cap is an aftermarket piece, and you'll probably have to disassemble the filler neck to get it off. See if you can get a key made for it. They are very difficult to find now days and sell for about $50 on eBay when they show up.

BartZ240, When NISSAN built the Z they already had an established practice of manufacturing sets of locks/ lock barrels and keys for each vehicle. In your situation with no delivery documenation and no original keys, there is still another option.

All Datsuns have a master barrel assembly in the door locks. Either the lh or the rh door locking barrel that you put the key in will have a set of code numbers stamped in it. with those numbers a good key cutter can cut a key to the correct profile. This fix will cover both doors and the hatch and the glove box I am not sure about the fuel cover, on Australian Z's this is a standard feature so it would be covered as well. As for the ignition barrel I can not offer a solution if the keying is diffrent.

Hope this Helps

Steve :classic:

Thanks Steve you have probibly saved me a lot of junk yard shopping. I will have to tear into the doors and find the master drum. As to the Ing lock I guess that I may have to buy one if I can find one. Or pray that the orignal owner can find the keys as he said he would try to.

:geek:

BartZ240

Here's a trick with Locking gas caps that you've lost the key's to or in your cas bought car with no keys.

Take a Slot head screw driver and a hammer (bigger the better). put the screw driver right in the middle if the lock and hit-hit-hit and usually you'll bust the lock or gas cap. If that doesn't work, drill the cap until you'll able to get it off. If your worried about stuff getting in your gas tank I wouldn't go with the drill. I've had success with both methods. Just make sure you don't drill a hole into your car.

As for the locks-try getting a locksmith to make you a key. The only other alternative is buying all new locks which is very expensive......110 just for the ignition:stupid: ROFL

-Brandon

Originally posted by BambiKiller240

Check www.ZHome.com for a registry of early Z cars. You can get a pretty good idea of production date. Once you get the doors open you can also check the Data tag on the drivers door jam.

The locking gas cap is an aftermarket piece, and you'll probably have to disassemble the filler neck to get it off. See if you can get a key made for it. They are very difficult to find now days and sell for about $50 on eBay when they show up.

The gas door lock is on the gas door not on the cap. it looks to be a factory install. On my '71 the gas door has a twist latch and not a lock.

I have seen this type of lock on other Zs as well as other Datsuns

such as my 810.

I just do not want to have to damage the gas door to get into the cap when I have to take the damaged tank out.

I am sorry for that . I did not catch it as I was wrighting.

What I ment was a locking gas door.

Or filler door. The small square of body metal that covers the gas cap. It has a key lock that I think is keyed the same as the other exterior locks.

Let me appoligse again.:stupid: