IGNORED

I Thought All 240Z's had a Single Key

koreavet

The earliest 240Z's had 2 (two) keys. I do not recall off hand when the switch to a single key was made. Also do not remember whether it was a separate key for the Hatch (w/ doors and Ignition keyed alike), or a separate key for the Ignition (and Doors and Hatch keyed alike).

I'm sure that someone who has owned one of these early Z's can fill you in completely, but to start an answer to your question, YES, there were 240Z's that used two keys.

The keys on eBay look the same as the ones I have for my Z. I own an early '71 (production date of 8/70) so yes, the very early Z cars did use these keys. I can post a pic of my keys when I get home tonight if that will help any.

I bought the exact same keys for my 70 240Z. The one with the paint works the doors, hatch, and glove box. The odd one does the ignition only.

Just an interesting side note, when I had these old key blanks cut, the guy had a hard time doing it because the metal was much harder than the modern keys he is used to cutting.

Marty

Originally posted by Victor Laury

Your photo looks like my keys as well. The round one is for the doors and hatch, the square one for the ignition. Mine's a late 72. My early 72 was the same.

Hi Victor:

I believe that he "square" one for your ignition lock is a replacement. I mean that the ignition lock assembly has been replaced at some time in the cars life. The other (rounded) key is the standard normal key that came with the car. My late 71 and early 72, and mid 73 240Z's all had the rounded one as the only key that operated all locks (doors, hatch, glovebox, and ignition).

A year a go I had to replace the Ignition lock on the 72 and I got that "squared" key with the new lock assembly from Nissan. I still use the original key for the doors and hatch.