IGNORED

Pressure in the gas tank

Jeff Berk

I noticed that my gas tank seems to build up pressure, is this normal?

Also, and possibly related, I had fuel leaking out of my rear SU carb after a few miles last week and the fuel pressure gage recently was showing 7.5 psi after a drive. The carbon canister was deleted by a PO. The return line to the fuel tank was reconnected after ? years so it has not been tested other than to confirm it was not leaking.

My fuel system is currently as follows:

1) Fuel is pumped from the fuel tank, through a fuel filter using an after-market electric fuel pump to the engine compartment. 

2) Fuel is pumped through the mechanical fuel pump and into a DIY fuel rail with three outlets. Two of the outlets flow into a pair of round top S.U. type carburetors.  The third port is connected to a low-pressure fuel-pressure regulator.

3) The fuel-pressure regulator has two active ports and a pressure gage. One port is connected to the fuel rail and the second port is connected to the return fuel line.

Is the vent line the one on the top of the reservoir tank in the right rear fender?

As long as I'm pulling interior panels out, are there any suggestions on how to get them to stop creaking? Silicone on the plastic to plastic contact seams perhaps?

First, locate the vent line in the engine bay. Blow some compressed air at low to moderate pressure into the vent line, and have someone listen at the filler with the gas cap off. The helper should hear the woosh. That also allows you to figure out if someone capped off the vent line in the engine bay.

For the plastic panels, you might try some thin weather stripping. https://www.amazon.com/Weather-Stripping-Sliding-Speaker-Dashboard/dp/B07WGTHBSC

Or maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Weather-Stripping-Silicone-Window-Transparent/dp/B07XRVBSYC

Here's some 1 mm weather strip. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Thick-Adhesive-Weather-Strip/dp/B07L6JKJD1

3 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Kinda depends on the year... If your car is new enough that it originally had a carbon canister, then yes... It may be normal for the tank to build some pressure.

He has a 74. I never noticed pressure building up in the tank in my car. Of course, the carbon canister was not hooked up properly.

I skimmed through the EF section of the 74 FSM. I didn't see that valve, and it wasn't described in the theory of operation on EF-32.

I would not be surprised if the vent line from the tank was capped at the tank or in the engine bay.

• Agree 1

I'll check for the vent line tomorrow morning. The fuel return line was capped off until I reestablished a return flow fuel system a few months back.

Is there some way of adding a signature line or information in the block to the left of messages that includes vehicle information?

I think that image is sideways to permit fuel to drain back into the tank:) 

Edited by Jeff Berk