IGNORED

Oversize Pistons

I believe I've read the DS pistons are rebadged Kamearis.  Just checked the price: $1375.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Piston availability has varied over the years.

I figure as soon as I read off my credit card number to TEP, someone will start selling great cast pistons for $300.

• Haha 2

I reached out to Greenline and, sadly, got this response:

Thanks for your enquiry.  Unfortunately, only 86mm or 87mm pistons available (no 86.5mm) that meet your requirements.
Sorry we are unable to assist you in this regard. 

Please let us know if you require further information or assistance. 

10 minutes ago, Patcon said:

How much are the 87's?

What is leadtime?

Can you get you block punched out the extra ½?

The set runs $711.  Not sure what leadtime would be but I'd guess 3 months, and maybe... I may have to call the machine shop tomorrow and ask.  According to the invoice, it was $200 to bore them to .50mm the first time.

30 minutes ago, ArcticFoxCJ said:

The set runs $711.  Not sure what leadtime would be but I'd guess 3 months, and maybe... I may have to call the machine shop tomorrow and ask.  According to the invoice, it was $200 to bore them to .50mm the first time.

Why not have the machine shop source pistons? They should have the specialized equipment for checking the connecting rods and mounting the pistons.

• Agree 3

So to get the block bored again it's $600, not $300, because there's also the step of honing and washing.  So... that brings the total cost to about the same.

Meaning if it's going to cost me the same to wind up with forged pistons with either an 86.5mm or 87mm bore, I'm inclined to go bigger.

From my experience, best bang for the bucks, get the cylinder head as good as you can afford plus an aluminum flywheel. Quick rev high rpms. But if the cylinder walls are damaged more than a good hone will smoothe out I understand the over bore.

I have a 83mm 2.4 with big valves and an aluminum flywheel that I drive everytime.

My 2.8 86mm hasn't seen the sun in years, it's the garage queen #2 on constant trickle charge. May put some fresh fuel in it this holiday weekend?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxCJ said:

So to get the block bored again it's $600, not $300, because there's also the step of honing and washing.  So... that brings the total cost to about the same.

Meaning if it's going to cost me the same to wind up with forged pistons with either an 86.5mm or 87mm bore, I'm inclined to go bigger.

So in all of this there has been no mention of the rotating assembly, crank, rods, damper, flywheel. Are you not having the bearing journals checked, and machined as needed? Are you not having the rotating assembly balanced?

All the fuss over cylinder boring and pistons is wasted if you aren't also having the other work done as well.

3 hours ago, Racer X said:

So in all of this there has been no mention of the rotating assembly, crank, rods, damper, flywheel. Are you not having the bearing journals checked, and machined as needed? Are you not having the rotating assembly balanced?

All the fuss over cylinder boring and pistons is wasted if you aren't also having the other work done as well.

Yeah all that other stuff was done (except the flywheel) in my first iteration at the machine shop.