IGNORED

Seat Rebuild..What is it & do I need it?

z3beemer

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the seats in my 73 240z.  I'm using new foam from MSA.  Upon disassembly of the seat back I noticed a layer of brown straw like material about an inch thick that was between the foam and the seat upholstery. Any idea why this is there, and should I reuse it?  It smells kind of musty so I don't want to use it if I don't have to.  If I do need it, is there some other material available I can use or should I just leave it out all together.  

Thanks,

Paul (z3beemer)

That sounds like jute in your seatback, likely added as a flexible filler for comfort since the basic foam is there to provide shape but not flexibility. I recommend you leave it out but do consider adding some 1/2' - 3/4" upholstery foam as a replacement. I did that to the seat back and bottom, and the side bolsters. It made for a decided improvment in comfort. The additional foam in the side bolsters also helps push out any wrinkles that might be in new covers.

Edited by jfa.series1

It must be new upholstery season.  I've got the passenger seat out and have repainted the frame and side rails, rewebbed the bottom cushion support, made new clear plastic protectors to go between upholstery and metal side pieces, replaced the original foam cushion pads and upholstery and am almost ready to start putting it all back together.  I discarded the jute.  I also wondered about its original function and figured it was just a breathable filler that had more "give" than the actual foam cushion.  Maybe part of the reason for the air vents in the seatback upholstery.

Edited by psdenno
  • Agree 1

Yup, that "horse hair" jute batting was used extensively in upholstery back in the day. It's replaced these days with another form of breathable batting which I would use in the areas that had the jute in the first place. There needs to be something between the springs and the seat bottom foam or the foam will suffer. And I think the comment above about the jute in the seat back is entirely accurate. I'd use a thin-ish piece of batting there also. You can buy upholstery batting any number of places - Walmart, fabric store. Just be sure to get Upholstery Batting (quilt & etc. batting is different stuff). This is more than you would ever need, but it shows what I'm referring to:

Amazon.com: AK TRADING CO - 48" x 5 Yards. Bonded Dacron CertiPUR-US® Certified. (Seat Replacement, Upholstery Sheet, Foam Padding) : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Edited by cgsheen1