IGNORED

Most dreaded of jobs finally on the horizon ? the fuel tank !

Killain

Well I was hoping on putting this off till next year, but it is growing in insistent on being done now. And I think I will need to replace the different fuel lines and hoses to and from the fuel tank. Now these hoses don't really exist, at least not very affordable, but does anyone know where they might be procured from ? I see the usual suppliers stock hoses for the 240 and 260 but none showing, ( at least in my humble searches to fit the 280Z ) I usually start trying to gather some of the parts before hand,  and this filler neck Grommet # 17312-E8700 is very scarce, which is where I am right now ?

Edited by Killain

There’s some nice threads on this forum that talk about alternative hoses that you can get from any auto parts store. The stupid expensive one does some a 180* turn, I just used some metal 90* elbows in its place.

I’d give you more threads but I gotta get back to yard work. 😞 

• Like 3

Yeah, there is like 3-4 different Z car suppliers, and you might think the Datsun 280Z is spelled P-o-r-s-c-h-e . . . but maybe it's just me ? ?????  But I really thank you for any and all parts info anyone can throw my way !

Edited by Killain

10 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

There’s some nice threads on this forum that talk about alternative hoses that you can get from any auto parts store. The stupid expensive one does some a 180* turn, I just used some metal 90* elbows in its place.

I’d give you more threads but I gotta get back to yard work. 😞 

Same with me. I bought all the fuel hose from O]Reilly's and did the 180 with two 90 degree brass PEX fittings. Cost about $50.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What's the best pathway forward with my 47 year old fuel tank, I don't think it's rusted through, but it isn't clean, so is removing the tank and sending it out to be restored, or just getting a restored tank ? It's like $250.00 to have it rebuilt or $370.00 for a restored tank. I don't know which is the right move here ?

• Like 1

I'd get the restored tank. Cost was over $100 for mine then the headache of doing the job within the time windows. It was a hectic job for sure then it needs to cure for about a month.

I used Red-Kote from damon products. The instructions are online if you want to read over them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I'd get the restored tank. Cost was over $100 for mine then the headache of doing the job within the time windows. It was a hectic job for sure then it needs to cure for about a month.

I used Red-Kote from damon products. The instructions are online if you want to read over them.

Yeah Sightunseen, this is one job, if you look at the chemicals, time and labor involved, is much better 'For Me' to have done off site, there is a old shop about a 120 miles from here who can do the work, have been in business since the 40's and I think even with the travel, is worth the effort. My problem presently is how do I safely and effectively drain the tank, it full right now. But I don't know if running the engine and new fuel pump with it suck up some dirt and debris, or if i should run it to burn off 5-8 gallons until I can pump out the remaining fuel into some 5 gallon portable tanks ???

Thank you,

I'm assuming you have another car while the Z is down... Get a good amount of fuel hose, attach one side to the fuel pump and pump it into a jerrycan, then pour that into the other car.

I use a big ol cement mixing tub to wash parts out. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-A-42/318924309

It works pretty well, i guess you could also pour the fuel into this, but its gonna smell... and be a fire hazard.