IGNORED

Rear Bumper Mounting Brackets

HappyZ

Does anyone know how the rear bumper brackets are mounted?  I have two sets and both sets have one side taller that the other.  There's also a slight tilt from front to back.  The pic shows the taller side clearly, but the tilt is a bit harder to see.  The tilt is from section just below the DATSUN letters touching the manual toward the front of the pic.

I guess an answer could be stated something like - when mounted, the taller side outward (Or inward) and the bottom of the bracket tilted inward (Or outward).

IMG_4245.jpeg

Interesting question.  I recently had my '71 rear bumper off to replace the rubber trim and didn't notice a tall and short leg when I reinstalled the brackets after I painted them.  I wonder which way they went on.  May have to look at them again.

The reason for my question is mainly that the bumper, when installed, slightly touches the body in the middle (dead center) of the car.  I thought before I add shims, I'd like to be sure it's installed correctly.

IMG_2895.jpeg

The tabs on the mounting bracket can be bent and may give you the clearance you need. The center bumper section should have a slight curve to it but I've seen them come back from the chrome plater straighter than they should be. (and some people like to get those bumpers really tucked in tight...) I align all the parts and panels to get the best visual out of parts and panels that were never perfect to begin with and after all these years are even less so.

From your pics I think the bumper is too high on the left corner and needs to come off the body in the back generally, but that's just me.

Leave the bracket bolted to the car, bend the "arms" of the brackets in a bit and then square off the tabs to be parallel to the bumper tabs (you may have some "adjustment" on the bumper mounts too). It may take an adjustment or two or three.

Edited by cgsheen1