IGNORED

Buying a 260Z 1974 162hp

Makada

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and probably am going to buy a 260Z from 1974 162hp.

As you can see, it has some damage at the left rear, also bumper shock by the looks of it.

Is this an easy fix?

With the kindest regards,

Mark

0-7776be64-ccd6-46fc-9ded-58448959703d.j

0-75cdf00d-307e-4a8d-93e1-edbfcedbea9b.j

0-8c101e78-ee97-41c6-a4e9-a4376ce3896c.j

0-8e22af4e-040a-43e8-b85d-c21e7108ff5d.j

Edited by Makada

• Makada changed the title to Buying a 260Z 1974 162hp

Front lower edge of the drivers door appears to have problems. I don't see the seam at the doglegs in the rocker panels and that always makes me nervous. I agree with the others about getting it on a lift and looking around for evidence of rust or poor rust repairs

• Agree 1

At first i saw the car and recognised it immediately because i look at cars/parts for sale at "the 2e hands site"  and then i saw your from the Netherlands, welcome Mark!

Beek en Donk is a place some 30km's from my home!  I took a look at your pics and it's a car that needs a lot of work before it's a nice car..

Normally i would say if you are going to take a look at that car i would join you but as i'm not very healthy and this covid stuff i will not take that chance..

Did you drive the car.. for at least 15-20 min.? 

You asked if the damage on the back was simple.. no..  don't think so.. and i, like others see a lot of bondo.,.  (Dutch: Plamuurbak!! 😉 )  Although this could be not much of a problem.. i think it's not very well done as i can see the "american way"of spaying paint.. haha.. the paintjob is terrible..  (ami paintjob means nothing was taken off every part like rubbers on hood edge/ rear deck are also blue...)  So it was a quick repair not very well done.. if you want a good car there is need for a paintjob complete!  As the driversdoor has also rust in the front of the door (just see the pics..)  let alone what else there is to discover!  

Mart (one letter different 😉 )

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Agree 1

Hi Mart and others,

Thanks alot for your replies:)

Really appreciate it👍

@Mart:

Hi, small world isnt it?

I wander what it will cost to have all the stuff done which it needs...

The car is from Canada and is still on Canadaian plates and has to get a Dutch license plate and has to attend a RDW test for driving on european road.

These costs are estimated by the seller at max 1000 euro's, which i have to pay. 

Together with the stuff needs doing to get it proper,  i am going to doubt if it is something for me...

Probably better to spend some more cash for a reasonable one without the fuss of welding and painting etc.

I see the inside door upholstery isnt original as is the carpets etc.

I see Joop Stolze has some 240Z's and 260Z's but they are a bit above my $$$.

Maybe do you know better one for sale in the Netherlands?

With the kindest regards. 

Mark

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Makada said:

I wander what it will cost to have all the stuff done which it needs...

Hi Mark, yes it's a small world 🙂  ...

If i could tell you what it's gonna cost just from a few pictures, i would have a job in no time that made me very rich haha..

I see a lot of strange damage on the car, some damage has white (bondo) under them.. so it will take a complete sand down and paintjob... what will cost you about 10 grand... euro's?

Then there are no floor pics so we don't know...  almost all need some tlc in the floor section..

The car has roundtops.. so the car was driven al lot i think... most of the mechanics are sloppy..  we simply can't know what the condition is..

Mark, you can see my resto of a very original dutch car 280zx slick roof but don't ask me what it costs..

At the moment i'm to ill to work on it but the engine is out.. last work is the engineroom.. the rest is ready.. 120tkm on the clock in 42 eh 43 years!

I've got a 240z and a 300zxtt, the 240z is my wintercar.. looks like a pile of $^!#..haha but it's a ever lasting reliable car! And the 300zxtt is my summercar for 15 years and  was never on the road in winter!  It's almost like new, all winter "schorsingen" are with the car at the RDW!!

Picture from the PO..

of01_0004281468.jpg

Here a link to my restoration.. nice read?

If you want to call me some time just shoot me a PM and i give you my cell..

• Like 1

Hi Mart,

You are a very skilled pro by the looks of it, wow what a work have you done to your cars👍

I recently tried to weld some rotten floor stuff from my Volvo 940 to get it through MOT on axle stands, but i failed completely😂 the welding area was even in a dangerous place, next to a fuel line.

I used a little gas filled wire welding machine, but the result was all pigeon poo😁

So in the end had to do it by a pro.

It really is a gift if you can do all yourself car repair related stuff, from welding to engine to painting. 

But i am learning along the way.

But unfortunately cant do it all alone. 

If the floor is kind of rust free, it might be a good one.

Ive asked for some pictures from underneath the car, but realised it may look ok, but still can get a screwdriver through it.

I will pm you👍 when i have the or a Datsun.