IGNORED

What is that and What is the purpose?

Jarnved

I have to disagree with @siteunseen.

The vacuum hose would connect to a part that has been removed. There should be a control valve mounted to where I have the arrow.

image.png

The control valve and dashpot are described in the EC section of the factory service manual. Here is a picture from page EC-2:
image.png

The control valve and dashpot prevent the throttle from closing as rapidly when you take your foot off the gas pedal. That reduced the volume of unburned hydrocarbons out the exhaust.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, siteunseen said:

Uh oh. I thought it was part of the a/c, sorry.

Actually, I started writing a response and saw your reply. To make sure I wasn't on the wrong path, I dug through the FSM to verify my memory was correct. In conclusion, your post made me research more to give a better answer than I originally intended.

In the 72 FSM, the description of the throttle opener starts on EC-10.

Since your curiousity is up and running as it should be, you should find out what is going on with the PCV pipe coming out of the block. It's plugged at the balance tube so it should be plugged there too for now. I would reconnect it to it's original configuration if I were you.

Maybe these pictures will help.

Your current PCV valve is plugged...

image.png

This shows where it should go to the block...

crankcase-breather-to-intake-manifold-jp

This hose should go to your air cleaner housing to complete the circuit of Positive Crankcase Ventalation. Simply just to return any unused air to the carbs to be burned instead of released to the atmosphere. Pollution stuff. :ph34r:

image.png

Edited by siteunseen

I'm self quarrentining until my test results come back for the newest Omicron. Haven't been feeling very well and don't want to infect anyone so I sit here at home with my dog and my beer, laptop and nothing more but time. That's why I'm a little chatty today. Thanks for giving me something to do! Hopefully I can help somehow?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I'm self quarrentining until my test results come back for the newest Omicron. Haven't been feeling very well ...

Might this be part of it?  Sorry....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/11/georgia-alabama-national-championship-game

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Alabama has one game a year to win and that's against Auburn. LOL

Saban has a had a good run but I'm affraid he's grown tired and extremely wealthy. Time to enjoy his successes.