IGNORED

How to Block off Early Z Hatch Vents behind the Grill

Duffman

My early Z has the hatch vents, like this pic.  I have some of the pieces to replace the plastic parts in the hatch to drain the water out but not all of them.  To find replacements would be pricey.  I am trying to figure how to block the hole under the vents, so the look remains but no air or water will get into the hatch.  Here is the pic of hatch with the vent and one without.  Any ideas out there?

Image result for 1970 datsun 240z hatch vent pics

See the source image

Edited by duffman

If you block off the vent, you destroy the cabin ventilation system and nothing short of a sealed plate over the top of the hatch deck is going to seal it off.  I found replacement sources on the internet right away.  Search "240Z hatch vent ducts".

• Agree 1

Thanks for the response, 26th Z, but I have already closed up the inside hatch panel with a solid piece with a sealed liner.  The outside metal-looking hatch vents I have, but the plastic pieces that go inside the hatch for drainage are not so easy to find or are just expensive.  Hence, the thought is to just block the openings under the outside vents.

Edited by duffman

Thanks, Patcon and Mark, I agree that anything I do will not permanently impact the hatch, it is just a means of plugging the openings so no water can leak into hatch.  Wondering if some thick rubber plugs, cut to fill the openings, would be an option?

I wouldn't use silicone. It can cause painting problems later

How about making a thin piece of stainless sheeting. The thinner the better. Make it the same exact dimensions as the vent grill with the two holes. Get some black seam sealer and affix the stainless to the top side of the hatch and then use a little seam sealer to mount the vent grill down. Excess seam sealer can be wiped off with lacquer thinner before it cures. Down properly, the seam sealer should seal everything up nicely

• Like 3