IGNORED

78 4” speaker suggestions

AZDatsun

This is about the best stereo I've seen in a 280z.  [mention=30038]dmorales-bello[/mention]

Thanks for this link Cliff. Your role as the forum librarian is unsurpassed. It looks like those 5.25” speakers on the kick panel shouldn’t interfere with my clutch foot. I also like the back 6x9 box he did. I think I’ll do this but it’s going to require the sloped deck delete.
My interior is on a hold because I have to weld those 3 floor patches on the passenger side. Can’t take it to the welder until my fuel tank is back. On the tank $425 with a lifetime guarantee from the Renu place in Greensburg,PA. Guy totally knows these tanks and has done many Z cars So it won’t be back for about 10 days. FYI, I found a 77 tank at a yard yesterday, already removed. It’s not rusted much, outside is perfect. Anyone looking for a 77 tank, let me know this is a great candidate.
In the meantime I’m doing electrical work which is why I started thinking about the stereo stuff. I want to get all the wires in place before I glue to rugs down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Here is the cable I had to fix from a PO’s splices and snips that goes to the radio  I wound each portion into separate bundles and wrapped them in a fabric wire wrap and labeled each bundle and connector.  I did this so if I ever have to go back and fix a problem it will be easy to ID where in need to look.   Shout out to wayne280z in the upper bleachers who created the color wiring diagram.  This made it so much easier.   What a great resource:   Thanks Wayne.   Picked up two other donor sections that connect C7 and C8 blocks to the center counsel (radio, hazard, defog, ash tray lights. Power antenna etc… here are pics of the bundles I got at the yard and the one I refurbished.  Here is the radio I got too.  It changes display colors to match the green lights in the dash.  

5A2F6DD0-34F4-4F6F-9E88-B493FBA91FE8.jpeg

20470A3A-7C6C-4261-A929-7F5DB4331A72.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3

One nice thing about the 78's raised wood floor is that there is lots of room to stash stereo components.  I have several amps and a crossover mounted under my floor.  I have an Alpine head unit and Polk 4" speakers in the stock locations in the panels fore of the rear wheel arches.  I installed all this about 10 years ago, but I never did build a speaker box for the rear speakers, so I have lots of power, but no big speakers to drive.  Someday along with the other 50 projects that the Z needs done.

• Like 2

One nice thing about the 78's raised wood floor is that there is lots of room to stash stereo components.  I have several amps and a crossover mounted under my floor.  I have an Alpine head unit and Polk 4" speakers in the stock locations in the panels fore of the rear wheel arches.  I installed all this about 10 years ago, but I never did build a speaker box for the rear speakers, so I have lots of power, but no big speakers to drive.  Someday along with the other 50 projects that the Z needs done.

Jeff, you make a good point about the space you get under the raised deck. Lots of places to store, misc items and/or spare parts incase you break down on a trip. I am buying an amp too so it’s probably a good place to put it as well.
I’ll continue to think about this and let you see the end results when I get it done. I should make a lot of progress on this interior this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1