IGNORED

Mystery steel slivers

ennisdavis

On 10/17/2021 at 11:49 AM, DatsunZGuy said:

You can see a lot of the timing chain parts with the valve cover off.  Get a bright light and see what's down there.

If somebody broke a bolt off in the thermostat housing (very common) and drilled it out they might have drilled a hole in the guide.  It's right behind one of the holes.

I don't see how piston ring parts get out of the ring groove and down the length of the piston skirt to the crankcase without major piston damage.

I'm voting that it's cast iron flashing from inside the block.

I just de-flashed mine because I was able to break off a piece with light finger force.  Broke out the die grinder and had at all of it.  While I was at it, I smoothed up some cast holes for better coolant flow.

I had first-hand experience of chain tensioner parts finding their way to the oil pan. Found this in my L20b when I took it apart to rebuild a couple years ago. Not certain if that's what you are looking at, but yours look much smaller and hopefully didn't do as much damage on their journey between the front cover and oil pan if so.

Timing Tensioner.PNG