IGNORED

Aging Z tires

DennisH

I'm now the keeper of a 74 260Z that has spent the last 20 years in a friend's garage.  The tires have been leaking air and I discovered why - the date code says they were made in the spring of 1982!  Looks like there isn't much available to replace the 175-14 that are on it, and the forums suggest an easy fix is to get new 15x7 rims and some more modern tires.  Any advice on brands or sizes of either rims or tires is very welcome.    Thanks,   Dennis

What wheels are on the car now? 

Falken makes 14 inch tires that have good grip, but they require at least 6 inch wide wheels. I bought a set recently to go on the Iron Cross ZX wheels on my 240Z.

If you're not sure about the wheels, post photos. 

2 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

That's what I raced on for years.  They are really small for street use, but were the only good performance tire in a 14"

IMG_5689.JPG

9 hours ago, SteveJ said:

My Zed has 14" wheels running 185/70R14 tyres and getting older. I have been looking for alternatives, but a lot of the info is blocked here.

Screenshot_20211002-094318.png

Very unsatisfying🤐

Steve, can you post more info on the tyres?

19 hours ago, SteveJ said:

What wheels are on the car now? 

Falken makes 14 inch tires that have good grip, but they require at least 6 inch wide wheels. I bought a set recently to go on the Iron Cross ZX wheels on my 240Z.

If you're not sure about the wheels, post photos. 

The rims are the OEM rims with hubcaps that came with the car in 1974.  They're 14" but I haven't been able to find the width.  I'll take some pics.  Thanks!

19 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Be careful, I've had several old tires explode during storage.  The belts broke and the tires exploded.  One was on a car and the other was stacked.  

Thanks for the warning.  I've seen that too.  All the more reason to get rid of those old tires. T

4 hours ago, DennisH said:

The rims are the OEM rims with hubcaps that came with the car in 1974.  They're 14" but I haven't been able to find the width.  I'll take some pics.  Thanks!

Steelies are too narrow. ZX wheels 6 inches wide, though. 

If you're going to get new wheels, consider 16x7s.