IGNORED

Grind off material

Probably a dumb question: Does this material need to be ground down?
The header was mounted like this for who knows how long.
Any header I have seen has a flat mounting surface.

DSC_0602.JPG

I don't see any leaking, black soot, so maybe the intake gasket sealed it up good enough. I would measure the protruding section of the header. It may fit inside the exhaust ports?

My 2 from MSA were flat as you say. Is there a name anywhere readable like Pacesetter? Those are cheap headers but like I saw there doesn't look like any leaking.

Was it noisy? Ticking like a bad exhaust manifold/header seal. 

More info on any type problem or noise would be helpful to us.

The area around the ports that looks like it is raised 1-2mm?

I would think it would be fine, but maybe there’s an argument that the header has more of a chance to warp. It should give good pressure against the gasket surface around the ports though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think those are intentional.  They raise the pressure, force per unit area, on the gasket to give a better seal.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.
This is after I cleaned them up.
Cylinder 3 was ticking, and the exhaust part of the gasket was blown out right next to it.
New gasket is already installed. I still need to change out the valve stem seals.

15 hours ago, DuckManNK said:

Probably a dumb question: Does this material need to be ground down?
The header was mounted like this for who knows how long.
Any header I have seen has a flat mounting surface.

DSC_0602.JPG

The raised area is the weld between the flange and the tube. It gets machined flat and true when Newton aid in sealing when the intake and exhaust are installed.

A quick cleanup with a large flat file is a good idea before reassembly. Careful to not cut them out of true or damage them.

14 hours ago, DuckManNK said:

Just wanted to share what the gasket looked like.

DSC_0604.JPG

That gasket isn’t correct for use with a header. It looks like an OEM gasket with a sandwich of metal and fiber. The header gasket is all fiber, with no metal embedded in it.

You'll want to check the flatness and quality of the surface on the head.  Maybe have both surfaces skimmed.

There's another Datsun site out there with a couple of guys that say they don't use any gasket at all.  They just mill both surfaces and bolt it up.  They say it works but who knows.

Anyway, the head surface is often overlooked.

5 hours ago, Racer X said:

That gasket isn’t correct for use with a header. It looks like an OEM gasket with a sandwich of metal and fiber. The header gasket is all fiber, with no metal embedded in it.

I've never heard that before, what is the rational behind having no metal in the gasket?

Posted (edited)

Bought it my local dealership. They had to overnight it of course but they still make them. I think zcardepot.com has them as well. If you make out the p/n let me know and I'll get the receipt out of my file.

Looks like 14035-E4610. Google that and see what pops up.

Yeah that's right number

Screenshot_20210806-154634_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I've never heard that before, what is the rational behind having no metal in the gasket?

I’m not entirely sure, but the all fiber header only gaskets seal better at the exhaust ports. 

This is what I am referring to, although this one is for a 4 cylinder L series engine.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Racer X said:

I’m not entirely sure, but the all fiber header only gaskets seal better at the exhaust ports.

I bought a new set of (whole engine)seals for my 280zx and there where no longer metal parts in the in/out seal.. they say it's better that way.. i will know.. in a few years.. i hope.. when i get these IN this year..

Btw.. to check the flatness of your exhaust header, take a thick peace of glass and some abrasive material (like where you clean/polish with in the kitchen). Go over the glass with some abrasive on it with the exhaust header. you can see the un-flat spots in a minute (or 5.. 😉 ) 

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

I tried a magnet on the OE intake/exhaust gasket from 1972. It wouldn't hold itself but definitely had some pull. That's the old stock exhaust manifold from Nissan. The gasket that came with the 6 into 1 header from MSA had zero pull from the magnet. It feels like thin cardboard. So Mr X is right from where I'm standing along with MSA. But! my Nissan metal exhaust covered gasket pictured above is as quiet as a church mouse with the header. I did not use the MSA supplied paper/fiber gasket. Just a bulls**t observation is all. 

"Whatever works" LOL

• Haha 1

Yea, I already buttoned everything up with a composite/metal gasket. Sounds SO much better than before(obviously given the state of the old gasket. When I replace the header I will go ahead and get the fiber gasket.

• Like 2