IGNORED

Need a little help

gundee

Sometimes the wire colors on switches will differ from the wire color on the harness. For the wires you have left, here is what I suggest you make a chart like this so we can help you figure out where things go.

List

1. Wire color, including the color of the stripe
  2. Connector type: spade/bullet
  3. Connector gender: male/female
  4. Wire Origin: Dash harness/turn signal switch/headlight switch
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

It would probably be best to look at the Wiring diagram in the FSM, and double check if all the wires are in the correct spot.

Got more wires than shown in wiring diagram. So many guys have taken apart and rebuilt column switchs I thought loads of info. here on this.

I guess I was wrong. Very interesting. I will wring it out one way or another. If wire colors matched its pretty much a no brainer.

11 minutes ago, gundee said:

So many guys have taken apart and rebuilt column switchs I thought loads of info. here on this.

I guess I was wrong. Very interesting

You didn't even tell people what year car you're working on.  Had to go dig to find it.  Is it the 1972 shown on your profile?

I only see 5 wire ends, of unknown colors (stripes matter), except for the black one.  Can't be too hard.  Good luck.

19 minutes ago, gundee said:

Got more wires than shown in wiring diagram. So many guys have taken apart and rebuilt column switchs I thought loads of info. here on this.

I guess I was wrong. Very interesting. I will wring it out one way or another. If wire colors matched its pretty much a no brainer.

Yeah, I've never posted this link here before...https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

Hint - Look at the picture in the link. You'll see what I meant in the first sentence in my post.

Edited by SteveJ

15 hours ago, gundee said:

I should have taken a photo before taking apart.

Yes, very important to take pics from more than one view!

What i wanted to ad.. there are on the column some wires that are not used i know.. they are for things your car is not equiped with..

Just test everything, lights, flashers...  and if there is something not working, get a volt-meter and measure were the signal stops and  test the of going wires.. look were they are going.

Then there is the fsm diagram.. there are different diagrams for different cars and i always have problems with diagrams they are often for US. cars and euro cars are wired different.. In a original car i see cables that are not in the fsm.. so have patience and a bit of luck i guess..  we say: meten is weten! (translates in: measuring is knowing!)

On 7/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, SteveJ said:

Yeah, I've never posted this link here before...https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

Hint - Look at the picture in the link. You'll see what I meant in the first sentence in my post.

Good idea. I have bookmarked that link so I can study it. Thanks.

4 hours ago, gundee said:

Good idea. I have bookmarked that link so I can study it. Thanks.

That only shows a few of the connections in the steering column. Again, I suggest you make a chart with the details above and share it here.