IGNORED

undercarriage color

Wally

Unfortunately, I have destroyed the evidence:

image.png

The original coating did NOT extend to the tops of the upper frame rails.  Also note that the inside of the fenders was also coated.  My guess is that the coating was factory-applied, with the fenders attached, before the suspension and fender liners were installed

6 hours ago, texasz said:

I was under mine replacing some fuel lines in the rear today (with the fuel tank out).  HLS30-08215 has body color (paint only) on the under side at least in the rear where the fuel tank goes.

Have any pics?  Lots of factory overspray in that area on mine. Interestingly, they used tape of some sort over the holes in the rail for the rear suspension hangers to keep the threads from being coated with the black "undercoat".

IMG_20200426_163710.jpg

Edited by inline6

10 hours ago, Roberts280Z said:

Unfortunately, I have destroyed the evidence:

image.png

The original coating did NOT extend to the tops of the upper frame rails.  Also note that the inside of the fenders was also coated.  My guess is that the coating was factory-applied, with the fenders attached, before the suspension and fender liners were installed

I think it likely that it was applied with the fenders attached and before the suspension and fender liners were installed.  That would be the same treatment my car received from the factory, judging by where the coating was and was not upon inspection at dis-assembly.   With regard to color, my factory coating has a semi-gloss appearance.  Paint overspray covers a whole bunch of it though.

• 2 weeks later...

We were installing the fuel tank this morning and I noticed some stuff peeling off of the under side of the car in the VERY rear.  While most of the under side does have body paint this area seems to have some kind of coating over the orange paint and that is what is flaking off.  See pix.  The fuel tank is back in the car now so I no longer have access to this area, hope these pix help.

20210815_090922.jpg

20210815_091022.jpg

• Like 1

thanks. i ended up doing i deep clean on everything underneath. There was basically no rust on the car anyway when i got it (that was the selling point to me). I bought about 6-7 cans of good black Rustoleum undercoating. i sprayed everything down good. So now its all protected really good. I am fairly certain i could go 

back over it with 918 orange if i wanted but i am not going to. i think it looks good black.