IGNORED

EFI Fuel Pump Noise

wheee!

Found my old thread.

Tip: One thing I did not mention in that thread was the outer ring where the rollers run against. It is not a perfect donut form, but the inner circle is a little off center. Very important to note it's position before dismantling. There is a small notch on the outside to help, but it doesn't have any corresponding marks on the housing.

Position it wrong and itwill reduce the pump performance considerably. Mine couldn't reach 35 psi until I tried another position.

Edited by EuroDat
Tip of the day

8 hours ago, wheee! said:

I remember testing it years ago and It wasn’t noisy on the bench.

I hope you tested it with fuel.. these pumps fail when you run them without fuel longer then a few seconds..  (if you look on youtube , bosch fuelpump 044  there are some info's around knock off's .. wow..)

I hope you tested it with fuel.. these pumps fail when you run them without fuel longer then a few seconds..  (if you look on youtube , bosch fuelpump 044  there are some info's around knock off's .. wow..)

I tested the blue hitachi with fuel before I bought the original black Bosch with the new fuel tank. I can’t remember testing the pump but I remember the seller saying it ran perfect before he pulled it. It was in very good condition.

19 hours ago, wheee! said:

I tested the blue hitachi with fuel before I bought the original black Bosch with the new fuel tank. I can’t remember testing the pump but I remember the seller saying it ran perfect before he pulled it. It was in very good condition.

The early 280Z all had Bosch components in the EFI. They progressively changed over to JECS and Hitachi in the years after. First to go was the Bosch ECU in April 75 and the AAR, AFM & Fuel injectors followed that year. I think the fuel pump might be the last of the EFI components to move.

Most EFI parts where then JECS and some JECS' parent company Hitachi.

Approx. Fuel pump time line

Bosch up to mid. 76.

Hitachi N4200 & N4700 (black terminals) up to Sep 77

Hitachi N4205 (blue terminals) from Oct 77.

The inlet filters and internal pump components from the N4200 & N4700 don't fit the N4205. The filters and pump rollers are different lengths. 

The o-rings including the motor house o-ring will fit all 3 version and the inlet house and complete pump sections are interchangable so you can swap a pump to another motor etc.

• Like 1