IGNORED

EFI Fuel Pump Noise

wheee!

Is it just my 76 Bosch fuel pump that sounds like an overworked drill pump or do all pumps make this much noise? Rubber insulator is intact and pump is isolated from the frame.

I will try and get a video of it soon.

43 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Is it just my 76 Bosch fuel pump that sounds like an overworked drill pump or do all pumps make this much noise? Rubber insulator is intact and pump is isolated from the frame.

I will try and get a video of it soon.

Exhaust isn’t loud enough . You are running the original pump?

• Like 1

It is indeed an original BOSCH fuel pump. I have another one which has the blue connectors which was a later aftermarket version I believe.
The noise in the cabin is quite excessive. Loud whirring. Fuel pressure is good though.

Edited by wheee!

On 5/12/2021 at 9:48 PM, wheee! said:

It is indeed an order final bosch pump. I have another one which has the blue connectors which was a later aftermarket version I believe.
The noise in the cabin is quite excessive. Loud whirring. Fuel pressure is good though.

Armature is getting worn - it’s warning you 

REPLACE ME !

Why would mess with an original old pump when you have all that time invested in your motor ? 
I would invest in a good pump ! 

I had a few people comment on how reliable and solid the original bosch units were. And how noisy the new units were…
Guess I got it wrong

41 minutes ago, wheee! said:

I had a few people comment on how reliable and solid the original bosch units were. And how noisy the new units were…
Guess I got it wrong

No - they were right , but a 40 year old pump is what it is . My Walbro is in the tank and it’s not too bad noise levels . Plan on spending about 250$ for a quality pump that is quiet 

They are right about the original "Bosch" version. The 280Z had them until July 76. It was a very reliable pump in the Mercedes, Alfa, Peugeot, Volvo etc.

The Hitachi variant seems to wear the rollers and impeller a lot faster. I have 3 Hitachis and they all make a little whiring noise.

The Hitachi with black terminals is the early one up to 78-79. Then the terminals changed colour to a light blue. They did some small changes to the internals then where the parts ARE NOT interchangable with the older black terminal  version.

I changed mine to the 044 Bosch pump. The pump is quiet compared to all the old pumps I have.

I have a thread here some where on my atempts to rebuild one good one out of the three.