IGNORED

Another Z to see the roads again...

ETI4K

I did see that and gave it a lot of thought.  In the end, I was just looking for an excuse to make something on the lathe (and mill).  😁

I am really trying to clean up the engine bay to remove, or make less obvious, all the hoses, wires, etc. running around.  That's why I decided to mount mine under the intake.  The filtered air hose will run to a port at the bottom of the MAF sensor boot from the air filter.  The air valve body can rotate to any position to facilitate the routing of the hose to get it to follow the same route as the boot.  Also, the hose, air valve body, and boot will all be black and less visible - especially against the blinding brilliance of the polished intake, head, timing cover...... 

Well, a fella can dream can't he?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy!  Junkyard run tomorrow - the first in a long time.

I have been wanting to change the rear hatch latch mechanism to one found on newer cars, a motorized draw-down type, so I will never have to slam it shut.  This is especially important if the new hatch seal pushes back harder than it should.  Of course, I might be compelled to find some linear actuators for the hood and hatch.  I am a dreamer after all.

I don't know anything about the draw-down hatch mechanisms, but I know a guy who's been working on putting in a linear actuators on his (shaved locks) 260Z.

I think he's on his second, no third. Fourth maybe? revision of the project. It's not as easy as you might think.   @GGRIII

The doors were pretty easy. The hatch has been a PITA.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since this is a build thread, I thought I'd share some pics of the current project that absolutely will be a part of the Z's rebirth - a new shop.  I was supposed to do this last year.  While I am delighted to be getting this space, the build is kicking my behind.  I just don't remember this stuff being so heavy.

I am building this with two friends.  I built my last shop the same way.  It goes slowly, but everything is correct and I don't have to worry about what's happening when I'm not present.  I've seen way too many times some truly half fast workmanship.  I used to work as a consultant for an attorney who would represent people who had been screwed one way or another by a contractor.  I would evaluate and report.  There's some scary stuff out there.

Anyway, it's 32 x 40 with 12' ceilings.  My wife insisted I make it compatible for use with a lift - god bless this woman!  Into it I must stuff a lot of tools.  I'll be lucky to get the car in with enough room to work.  Right now, I have woodworking machine tools stored in a shed, car parts strewn to the four winds, metalworking machines and welders in the garage, and all of it must come together in this building. 

Interestingly, I have the same trouble getting materials for this build as I do for the Z!  Standing seam roofing is next - materials due in two weeks.  We'll see.

20211215_080454.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/12/2021 at 10:02 PM, Captain Obvious said:

I don't know anything about the draw-down hatch mechanisms, but I know a guy who's been working on putting in a linear actuators on his (shaved locks) 260Z.

I think he's on his second, no third. Fourth maybe? revision of the project. It's not as easy as you might think.   @GGRIII

The doors were pretty easy. The hatch has been a PITA.

Sorry CO, I just saw this.  I can imagine.  Kinematics design with linear actuators is not easy as you are always constrained by what's available; and if one's source for materials is a junkyard, I think the difficulty must increase in a nonlinear fashion.🙂  I found two rear hatch lift mechanisms from minivans that absolutely will not work, but since they were free, I couldn't help but add them to my inventory.  I'll try another junkyard later, but think I won't press this too hard.  It would just be a gee-whiz thing anyway and I am getting itchy to get on with car work.  I am still trying to get good reliable measurements from my engine so I can order cam and pistons.

I thought the cadillacs had a draw down trunk mechanism?

Construction is crazy right now! Go ahead and find the wire, blue boxes and panels or meter base that you need. They can be very difficult to source and may take a month or two to find it all. If you're going to need any interior paint start now trying to find it too.

I wanted some concrete this week and one of the plants I use told me I could have some after Christmas!!! :blink:

• Agree 1

Good luck on getting the materials for the build. When I go to my local hardware store there has been are no electrical PVC conduit for weeks , scarce supply of latex paint at Sherwin Williams. We’ve had a house in the neighborhood waiting on a standing seam metal roof for about 6 weeks now. I’ve heard siding is hard to get too. Hopefully Omicron doesn’t put production back on its butt again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Patcon said:

I thought the cadillacs had a draw down trunk mechanism?

Construction is crazy right now! Go ahead and find the wire, blue boxes and panels or meter base that you need. They can be very difficult to source and may take a month or two to find it all. If you're going to need any interior paint start now trying to find it too.

I wanted some concrete this week and one of the plants I use told me I could have some after Christmas!!! :blink:

Yes indeed.  In fact, I pulled two from Caddys.  They operate, but as @Captain Obvious mentioned, may offer some serious resistance to integration!

As for the building, it took forever to get this far with it.  But, as I mentioned above, the metal roofing is supposed to be available in two weeks.  Concrete seems to be running on a 2-3 week lead time basis.  Right now, we can't get any gravel smaller than 57.  It seems the crushers need repair and parts can't be found.  I mentioned this to my buddy yesterday who is building a house nearby and he had several loads of crusher run delivered yesterday.  The trucks were gone and back in less then 45 mins.  The same quarry I asked for CR and they said none was available.  Looks like I need a little lot more rock buying power.

I gave up on my original plans for this building.  It was supposed to look like the house.  Couldn't get materials or didn't want to afford what I could get.  So my buddy who is helping me suggested post-framed metal building.  It took a long time for me to come to terms with it bc I don't really like the look of metal buildings.  I thought about waiting another year or two or five, and finally said well schizel, I might be dead before I can build this the way I want, so metal it is!  I'll make myself feel better about it by turning on machines and making things I haven't been able to do since we moved here.

Interesting about the paint and conduit.  Conduit I need now, but I haven't let myself think that far ahead on paint.  Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like I'll be at Lowe's and Spencer Home Supply today.

• Like 1