IGNORED

Why this forum is unique

Av8ferg

There was actually a good crowd on there for a while.  They knew a lot.  Tony D was a troll, you just had to ignore him.  Even Tony D had some good advice at times, if you picked through his vitriol.  Most of them have moved on, some left the Z world, some just got tired of the internet I think.  The site owner, SuperDan, seems to have put things on autopilot.  Won't be a surprise if he sells it. 

zcar.com got sold years ago and was moderated by some sort of committee that used the same account name.  "something"boy, I think it was.  It was a different person responding whenever you reported something.  Their purpose was just to keep the site functional, they knew nothing abut the content.  It was just a place for Google ads.  Apparently it's different now, but I haven't been there for years.  

15 hours ago, grannyknot said:

To his credit TonyD is a smart guy and has a lot of experience to offer, but it's like that phase they use on kids report cards, "Doesn't play well with others"

I agree, TonyD was very knowledgeable with lots of experience but could be very harsh and grating

17 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Tony D was a troll, you just had to ignore him.  Even Tony D had some good advice at times, if you picked through his vitriol.

Calling someone out as a "troll" on an internet forum is a lazy, throwaway line and is often totally unjustified. Better to save it for people who are really trolling. Anybody here remember our old friend 'Burt'? 

Tony simply doesn't suffer fools gladly. Most internet communities are all the better for having someone like that around, and he usually knows what he's talking about, has been there and has bought the t-shirt to boot. Many of the people who have a 'negative experience' when interacting with him are not exactly paragons of virtue themselves.

The occasional sighting of that dying art called passionate debate is - in my opinion - a good thing on an internet forum. Along with the noise and heat comes a little light, and - with open minds - we can all learn something new. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

p.s. I should say also, that part of participating in a public forum is "suffering fools".  Especially forums that are based on helping people learn and solve problems about specific things.  A valuable forum member "suffers fools" gladly.  I think that the people who end up looking like trolls or A-holes just can't comprehend that.  There are probably forums out there for people who need to feel elite.  For people who can't stand being around "fools".

You don't seem to have addressed the possibility that the cannon fodder might be just as much of a 'problem', or at least the yang to another's ying.

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

This is both ironic and amusing.  Maybe tone-deaf, or just oblivious.  Or maybe an attempt at "sophisticated" trolling.

So you answer what I thought (even hoped...) was a pragmatic and even-handed post with negativity, and posit that I am - myself - 'trolling'?

Way to go, champ. The future looks bright, doesn't it? FFS.

2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

The occasional sighting of that dying art called passionate debate is - in my opinion - a good thing on an internet forum. Along with the noise and heat comes a little light, and - with open minds - we can all learn something new. 

^So this is 'Trolling', apparently.

*sigh*

9 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You called me lazy.  That's inflammatory, to anyone.  That's what trolls do.

No. Point of order: I suggested that the the practice of throwing the term 'Troll' around inappropriately was lazy. That's an opinion.

So you throw the term 'Troll' back at me in response, as though it is now set in stone that I am a 'Troll'? 

Here's an example of such laziness on the forum. Yesterday. You think this is an appropriate response?

Confused Troll.jpg

Edited by HS30-H