IGNORED

Machining cylinder head for more compression?

z shredder

Hello,

I am looking at buying an L26 engine for my 240z the plan is to use the l24 flat top pistons and a decked e88 cylinder head to get more compression.

The ozdat calculator says that with a 1.25mm thinner head gasket and the l24 pistons I will get a compression ratio of 10.5/1 is this equivelent to machining 1.25mm of the cylinder head and using the stock head gasket?

Is it even possible to remove that much material?

1 minute ago, madkaw said:

Do you or did you have the Nissan Maxima over there ? The early 80’s Maxima used a 2.4 L6 . That would be the ideal head for your situation 

No I dont think we got the maxima here and i can get an l26 block+head for cheap I also have my original l24 to get the pistons from so I am pretty much set I just need to know if my frankenstein engine will work in the end 😅

1 hour ago, madkaw said:

Do you or did you have the Nissan Maxima over there ? The early 80’s Maxima used a 2.4 L6 . That would be the ideal head for your situation 

The Maxima was also known as the 810.  "The name "Maxima" dates back to 1980 for the 1981 model year when the upscale 810 sold as the "810 Maxima" in North America."

2 hours ago, jonbill said:

The standard gasket is 1.2mm, so you can't have a head gasket 1.25mm thinner. 

You can oval the mount holes in the tensioner and Slack side guide to take up the slack. 

I know but by saying in the calculator that the head gasket is 0mm thick it has the same affect as machining 1.25mm of the cylinder head.

8 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I moved a single chain link on the cam sprocket then chose the right offset of the 3.  All you have to ensure is that the crank is at tdc then get the cam marks to align.

Did you move the link over one spot on the sprocket or did you mean to say removed a link?