IGNORED

Alternator or battery?

siteunseen

The alternator isn’t charging strongly at idle, but seems to be fine above idle, and that’s not reason to do anything. Yet. Keep an eye on it. If you ever get into a “needle on the negative side” while driving around, then think about doing something.

• Thanks 1

I dove it for about an hour today. 62 degrees and sunny down here. B)

Had some strain on start up when I put fuel in. I'm going to swap the battery out of my 280 over in the next day or two. It's newish, not quite a year old. I have a reman alternator that tested good when I bought it. Thats option #2, the more time consuming. 

No matter the charging problem the car ran top notch after sitting for a few months. A lot more going on in MY head the past couple of months, cars on the back burner until very recently. 

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Changing the F wire I think? Something like that..

There is a pair of adjustable points inside the cover. Back in the mid seventies I began to be concerned with a dip in the voltmeter at idle. Armed with no volt meter, little knowledge, and a repair manual, I pulled the cover off and adjusted one set of points. Don't remember which set and I don't remember if I opened it or closed it but it worked. Try Googling "Datsun voltage regulator adjustment".

• Like 1