IGNORED

HELP!! 72 240Z + 280ZX CR TRANSMISSION + 88VLSD DIF = DRIVE SHAFT?

L.Flores

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me out her. I have a 1972 240z that I'm planning on installing a 1982 280zx close ratio transmission with an R200 out of a 1988 SS 300zx VLSD dif. My question is and probably a few folks have asked this before is what drive shaft or propeller can I use?

My car already has a t5 transmission from a 280zx turbo and what looks to be an R180 or R200. I does have the half shafts...

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Edited by L.Flores

Yes, the rear diff is complete and done. I have the yoke with the drive shaft for the fs5w71b 1982 280zx transmission (all from the same car ) and I bought the flange for the r200 1988 ss dif (separate). What I was thinking on doing is remove the flange from the 280zx and replace it with the r200 flange. But they are not serviceable. 

Edited by L.Flores

My understanding is that the VLSD half-shafts will be too long.  The propeller shaft yoke pattern would be the same as any 300ZX I think.  You'll need the mustache bar and diff mount if you have an R180 now. 

There's a bunch on hybridz.org about the VLSD.  Not many success stories.  It seems simple but ends up difficult and expensive.

https://forums.hybridz.org/search/?q=vlsd&quick=1

5 minutes ago, L.Flores said:

What I was thinking on doing is remove the flange from the 280zx and replace it with the r200 flange.

The yoke/flanges are not meant to be removed.  The u-joints are staked in.  There are machine shops that will convert them to removable u-joints but it's not a DIY kind of job.

How to get limited slip in a Z car is one of those things that looks easy but ends up complex.  We all want it, but it's hard to get.

There are driveshaft shops all over the place.  The 4x4 community supports the businesses.  Check your local phone book and make some calls.  Find one out away from the city and you can probably get it done and balanced for about $100.

Zed head is right. It's a lot of trouble. Most people wanting a limited sip dif go for the Subaru R180. That might be an option for you to investigate.

Subaru R180 basic requirements:

1.Subaru R180 liimt slip diff.

2. Wolf racing half shafts.

3. The pinion flange from your 240Z R180 fitted to the Subaru R180

4. I think you need to swap the diff covers as well. Long time ago and can't remember the details all too well.

Here is a thread about the Subaru R180 conversion.

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=31

Edited by EuroDat
Link added