IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

There are a few pictures where they have the doors and some body panels removed during the restoration. Doglegs were still on for the pictures, but there's no telling what they did off camera. Car was on jack stands in all restoration phase pictures, too. Price is $7,100 with one day left - do these auctions usually take big jumps in the last day? There's another '72 in better condition going for 15 already with three days left. There's no way this orange car is selling for below 15 though, even with its flaws. If it does, I'll be pissed I couldn't steal it!

1632519714cfcd220210701_053527-scaled.jp1632519719e7dff9f98764da20210528_130000-

32 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Shifter is still in the car, so the drive train is still in it. They've removed alot of the rocker and the floors were obviously weak. Thats how the gaps got distorted

Ekkkkk.

Those pictures say many things. Not sure a frame straightener would be able to fix this without some surgery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC871F said:

Ekkkkk.

Those pictures say many things. Not sure a frame straightener would be able to fix this without some surgery.

Sadly the car appears to be restored on the cheap with many corners cut with the intent of flipping it for maximum profit.  There's a lot of work to undo and much money to be spent on this vehicle to get it to a point where a correct restoration can begin.

Frankly, I'd rather start a rusty basket case than this.  At least that way it wouldn't be like peeling back an onion of hidden surprises.

• Agree 3

I looked at that car

Shipping would be problematic because of all the parts and the additional vin isn't great,  bit if your not too far away it could be good.

Although the last few wrecked Zs I've watched or bid on have gone for ridiculous money

8 minutes ago, DC871F said:

$21k for a car that needs some serious work. I'm astonished.

It looks like S30's (especially 240's) have gone up a whole lot in the past year. I mean, they've risen steadily the past 20 years, but, man, they've taken a huge jump recently. What could have gone for about 15k in 2019/2020 is going in the 20's now. Same can be said for a lot of things, though... I reckon the new Z coming out will shoot prices of S30's up a whole lot, too, especially since they're taking inspiration from the older z cars.

1 hour ago, Zpenman said:

What exactly is a re-VIN? Does that occur when the original VIN plate (this one looks pretty legit to me) is suspected of being tampered with?

The car had been totaled and/or reconstructed, it then has to go the the Oregon state inspection and get the vin re-certified. You will notice the new state sticker had the same vin as the original. This will also mean the car will always be branded as totaled or reconstructed. 

• Like 1

It looks to me like the valve cover says Nissan OHC, which might mean the engine is not original to the car. 

I'm sure it will go up more towards the end of the auction. People are paying higher and higher prices for these cars in this condition, and a lot of times selling the unfinished project a few years later. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Patcon said:

In many states that sticker could be removed, but the title would be branded salvage.

Somebody aught to watch the live auction. I suspect the final price will surprise you

Or one could file for lost title, get a new title for the car and move on with a full restoration.

16 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Or one could file for lost title, get a new title for the car and move on with a full restoration.

Or...I could title it in Alabama with a bill of sale written on a Burger King bag, pre 1975 no title required just a bill of sale. There's a lot of stolen Northern cars down here still. My Dad said it was rampant in the '70s thru early '80s. My '72 was tiltled with a hand written bill of sale on back of a packing slip. Carried that to the Courthouse and paid $20? then got an Alabama title in my name in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Or...I could title it in Alabama with a bill of sale written on a Burger King bag, pre 1975 no title required just a bill of sale. There's a lot of stolen Northern cars down here still. My Dad said it was rampant in the '70s thru early '80s. My '72 was tiltled with a hand written bill of sale on back of a packing slip. Carried that to the Courthouse and paid $20? then got an Alabama title in my name in a couple of weeks.

Did this many times in Georgia living in Florida to get clean titles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

I not sure that would wash the title. It would still probably be salvage

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

The rules have changed a lot in the last few years. This is getting harder to do

• Like 1

This still shows the prices are going up on these cars. A car like this with potential title branding, still goes for $5K (after fees) 

I still can't believe the low prices I paid for cars not all that long ago. 

I was out buying parts this afternoon. Picked up a set ZX turbo swastika wheels and a set of 4 screw carbs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1