IGNORED

when are ZXT Half Shafts necessary?

Originally posted by sjcurtis

Hi guys,

that uni failed from lack of grease not brute force. If you look at the plate end one of the bearing caps has been working(red brown dust around the edge) as the needle rollers inside sarted to get hot and lockup, starting to fail.

So that red dust came about from the friction from inside due to lack of grease? Sorry, I just didn't fully understand your first sentance. What are 'needle rollers'?

Cheers

How long is a piece of string?

But seriously, I really don't know, probably every 40,000km/s - when you change the diff oil....

You do change the diff oil don't you? :classic:

George - have a look-see inside a good uni & you'll see that between the cups & the shafts there are lots of cylindrical pieces of steel - needle roller-bearings.

Without grease they will get wet & corrode. Turning into iron-oxide dust in time....

So the lesson of the day is;

If there is red/brown dust on the cap ends then the roller needles have corroded.

Thanks for all your help guys:classic: I'd be lost without you all and paying some guy $50 an hour while not learning anything.

I must say that working on the car yourself, even though it is a hit and miss affair in my scenario, is very rewarding.

Majik16106,

I think the older style half shafts should sustain in good condition through an R200 LSD from about 250 to around 300, all depends on the conditions of your Zed with a straight six you may go better than that with a smallblock it may be at the lower end of expectation. In your case the ZXT option is highly recommended especialy as you are in the right market place to get it done cheap.

Cheers

Steve:classic:

I did the cv conversion at the same time I replaced all bushings, struts, springs and bearings. I had my parts powder coated.

Going to the track for the z club track day made the time and money i put into it pay off, with a lot of fun.

Tokico illumina handling package

energy suspension bushings

limited slip diffy

cv conversion

http://zdriver.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=998&thumb=1&si=darrel

check out pic scr1, it was soon after I passed a 914 on the front straight.