IGNORED

when are ZXT Half Shafts necessary?

If you go V-8, RB, or the Supra Turbo you would want an R-200 and the cv joint half shafts, anything less the R-180's and stock half shafts will be all you need.

It's not so much the HP that would kill them, it's the torque of whatever you install that will hurt them. :ermm:

When I had about 330hp at the flywheel I broke them 4 times in 3-4 months. I tried to be gentle with them but they would break even when acceleration on the roll.

However my car is turbo, therefore produces a lot of torque which doesn’t help. When I put in the 280zx CV shafts I could change gears without stress. Definitely one of the best mods I’ve done, other than RB25DET g/box.

:classic:

is there less stress on the shafts at higher speeds as opposed to taking off?

also if the shafts / diff / u joints were in line wouldn't it hold up a lot more?

also also wouldn't there be less stress if you were running an lsd?

Hi guys.

About an hour ago I busted up my first half shaft. There was a scary moment there when I thought it was the diff. So it's a long weekend and my car is off the road. Bleh.

I'd like all those questions answered too Ivan.

I have a feeling that I've got the 280ZX CV's but I can't tell. I'll get some pics tomorrow (too dark now) and gauge the full extent of the damage.

How much am I looking at for the 280ZX CV half shafts anyway?

Cheers

I had a look at the photo's of under your car and can almost be 100% positive there the 280zx CV unit's on there.

It's pretty hard to explain the differences but if I can find some photo's of what halfshaft uni joint type look like I'll upload em'.

Must be putting out alot of torque to bust those up, so what's it like driving a v8 Z as oppose to the inline 6?

The closer zoomed in shot of your car has changed my mind they are Uni joints which is a good thing because I don't know what you'd do if you were busting up CV's :).

Anyone else wanna confirm this?

Hey Gav. You are right, they are Uni's. Here's a photo.

Originally posted by Gav240z

Must be putting out alot of torque to bust those up, so what's it like driving a v8 Z as oppose to the inline 6?

You can't really compare the two. It's a totally different ball game. It's like sleeping with a fat woman and sleeping with a gorgeous sheila. You'll come either way but with the hot sheila you'll enjoy it more and it'll be over faster. Umm, does that make sense?

So how much are one of these Uni's?

post-3235-14150792744056_thumb.jpg

George the good news Uni joints are cheap and the halfshaft ones are easy to remove and replace no problem.

I remember paying $20 each for them the hard part is removing them but yours are broken so they might pop out.

I've never upgraded to the CV's but I believe they need to be shortened to adapt to the early Z's.

I think someone mentioned something around the $200 mark to me but I can't confirm this...

So what happened when it broke? I've never broken one could you still drive it? :classic: