IGNORED

'71 Hatch Strut

texasz

I was at NAPA Auto Parts yesterday looking up an aftermarket strut for my camper shell. You could check it out and see if anything might fit. They list by stroke length and compressed length and pounds of force. Don't know whether you could jury rig one of their struts. They ranged fom $15 t0 $40. Victor.

I was in O'Reilly Auto Parts last night getting a couple things and they found a part number for it and are looking to see if they have them or if they can get them. I'll update this post when I find out.

Originally posted by texasz

I was in O'Reilly Auto Parts last night getting a couple things and they found a part number for it and are looking to see if they have them or if they can get them. I'll update this post when I find out.

When I have looked for replacement struts at Poopboys, Kragen and the like, I have found that only the struts for 260 or 280Z's are available. In other words, only the Z cars that use TWO struts to hold the hatch have been available.

The Z's using the single ("high pressure") struts are S.O.L.

When I replaced my 71 tail gate strut (single strut car) I

bought the Dorman # C072-430 from Schucks for $19.99

It worked perfect all I had to do was drill out the bracket

on the hatch so the strut stud would fit.The Mighty Lift #

95019 from Autozone for $15.99 is also supposed to work

but I have not seen it or tried it.

I used to have one of thos cheap plastic jobs on my ZX

a few years back almost hurt myself accidently knocking it off,

when i was loading stuff.

May be you could ask Tourniqet for a strut after all i know he has a good one from my car. I don't know if he needs it though. :ermm:

My 72 could use a new one,

...it's in perfect condition from the outside....

...has anyone considered rebuilding one? If so, please respond....I would think this is the cheaper route, but I've never heard of anyone taking one apart and rebuilding.....

Some more insight.

Your picture shows louvers added to the hatch.

That is MORE weight to be held up. I have a BRE spoiler that added more weight. When I added the weight the cylinder would barely hold the weight and after about ?? a year it wouldn't do any holding. That was 1973-1974.

I think you would have to do considerable modification to any non standard cylinder, at the connections, to get a fit. I just use a wood dowel that I place between strut and opening. I have seen another type of modification that is a sort of thumb screw/set screw on a nut that is cut on one side and slipped on the strut rod. Anyway, I don't hold out much hope in getting a "single" strut to hold the added weight we both have. A double strut would require welding attachment points on the other side of the body and strut.