IGNORED

'71 Hatch Strut

texasz

Is this a normal hatch strut for an early '71 model? It has a "leg" on it that holds the hatch open and you have to lift it up to close the hatch. This just seams strange to me, the strut should be all that holds the hatch open...but then again there is only one strut and this hatch is heavy.

post-3356-141507927393_thumb.jpg

Texasz,

The gas strut looks normal, although it's obviously shot, but it looks like someone fabricated a quick fix for a worn out gas strut and added it on (clever anyway).....but that's just one man's opinion. I have a 1970 and have noticed that with the one gas strut and years and years of opening and closing it puts a heavy load on the same side hatch hinge and the hatch wants to twist with resistance, as most people tend to close the hatch by pulling it down from the center of the hatch. I've learned to close the hatch by pulling down on the gas strut side. This way your not putting a twisting momment on the hatch.

I believe that is a "Strut Saver" an aftermarket device sold for just a few dollars in lieu of replacing the strut.

I believe JC Whitney carries them, and if you don't want the expense of replacing the strut, it works. Granted, as you've pointed out, you have to move it out of the way to lower the hatch, and the little stick flops around inside after you've closed the hatch.

2¢

Originally posted by texasz

I took a closer look at it this morning and it does look manufactured not home made. Nice idea but I will be buying a new strut.

Not sure if they are still available new, but if they are, you might be surprised at how much it will cost you. Last time I saw them listed in the MSA catalog they were quoting over $100 for a unit.

Anybody know how hard it would be to transplant the double struts out of a '78 280Z into a '70 240Z? I have a 280 parts car that the struts still hold the hatch open on, so I guess they're in reasonable shape...

BTW, right now, the 240Z has NO hatch strut, and no bracket for one anymore. Love those POs....

Originally posted by mdbrandy

Anybody know how hard it would be to transplant the double struts out of a '78 280Z into a '70 240Z?

I don't have any idea, but since you have the parts, give it a shot and let us all know. I know that Id be interested in doing it if I could.

Ok then, I'll be the guinea pig :D . It will be quite a long time before I get to that, though - I'm about 90% done stripping the car down, and then it will be the long road back to having it done.

Thanks.