IGNORED

Broken Bolt

Wally

was taking off the water inlet and the bottom bolts head snapped off like butter. I hit the bolt with lots of penetrating oil and let it sit. got some vise grips on bolt sticking out and it snapped off. 

Drill small hole in center of bolt put in an extraction bit that was hardened steel. More penetrating oil. First turn the extraction bit broke of in the bolt hole. SIGH.....

Any thoughts?

I have had luck removing broken extractors using a pin punch to break them up, removing the broken pieces  as I go. It is a tedious process.

You may also try using a center punch, dimpling the center of the extractor, then try drilling it out with a left twist drill.

A Small carbide burr in a Dremel (the second from the right, ball shape) will be able to eat away at the extractor. Get real Dremel ones if you can, or from a trusted shop. Lots of cheap "carbide" crap out there.

Wolfride 10pcs 1/8" Shank Double Cut Rotary Burr Set for Dremel Rotary Tool  Tungsten Carbide Cutter Rotary Burr Set for Metal Polishing,Carving:  Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

I threw all my extractors away. Never ever had one work for me. 

Drill the broken bolt out then re-tap or heli-coil. Yes it's tough to drill in the center. 

• Like 1

I love this thing

OTC Drilling Guide Systems 6982DGS

it keys off an existing good hole on the same plane as the one you are working on. use is AFTER you figure out how to get the extractor out. Agree never had luck with extractors, maybe its the cheap ones I have used in the past. I also popped for an induction heater the heat bolts 1st. This all cost a lot of $$$ but the saving in aggravation is worth it.

watch out for water pump bolts as well, same thing.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1