IGNORED

Trouble Downshifting to First Gear?

red67

1 hour ago, red67 said:

Back to my leaky speedo, can I change the seals under the car, or does the cable have to come out?  Thank you!

You don't need to remoce the cable. Just disconnect it by unscrewing it from the adapter and then remove the adapter. The seals are in the adaptoer.

Screenshot_20201012-063919.jpg

3 minutes ago, red67 said:

How do you remove the adapter from the transmission? Do you just put a channel lock on it and twist? Should it Just pull out?

Could be leaking where the cable screws onto the adapter?  Thank you!

E0BC1A40-9F09-41EB-929D-3FBF3812206E.jpeg

38E22D64-E8D3-4A37-A7A7-CED95F31A7BE.jpeg

Remove the bolt adjacent to the drive adapter. Then it should slide right out.

Yep. There is a cotter pin for the selectors above the speedo cable adapter. It often leaks a little oil over a long period.

Yoer adaptrr is leaking through the pinion shaft seal. The o-ring seal looks like it is still ok, but you should always replace it too. They harden when they get old. Once you remove and refit them they start leaking.

I think I mentioned it earlier. To remove the adapter, just remove the M6 bolt and tab above it and the use a flat bladed screwdriver in the groove where the tab was to pry it out.

The oil leak from above is most likely from one of two places.

1. The cotter pin in "red circle" or the o-ring for the selector "blue circle". There is a third spot, the lip seal "green circle" in the selector mechanism, but them your selector stick would be leaking out the back or top where the gear stick goes.

20201014_174925.jpg

Green circle is where it would leak fron. The lip seal is further in the selectors

Edited by EuroDat

Thank you everyone, job done!  Pinion seal and O-ring are in. Everything cleaned up hopefully as you said it was the pinion shaft seal that was leaking.

One question the metal tab with M6 bolt, looks like it should  go in the slot on the top of the adapter. Mine was all the way in, and that’s the way I replaced it. But should the tab be in the slot? Follow?

The other areas discussed look more like sweating, than a leak so I cleaned it up and let it go for now. Thank you again!!!

6427D8BE-1EED-4F56-AE0F-94D8177FB458.jpeg

17 hours ago, red67 said:

One thing leads to another.

Yes... it's recommended to do it just once and check everything, otherwise you end up braking down time after time and....

11 hours ago, red67 said:

Mine was all the way in, and that’s the way I replaced it. But should the tab be in the slot? Follow?

Get the (correct!!)  servicemanual for your car!  then you can see for yourself how it comes out and gets in.. (serv.man. are at www.xenonzcar.com )

And.. yes the tab should be in the slot..

Edited by dutchzcarguy

20 hours ago, red67 said:

One question the metal tab with M6 bolt, looks like it should  go in the slot on the top of the adapter. Mine was all the way in, and that’s the way I replaced it. But should the tab be in the slot? Follow?

The slot also determines the position of the gear since the gear is off center from the hole it sits in.  So if you pushed past the slot the gear could be too deep and on the wrong axis, too far or too close, if the slot is not where the bolt is.

Found a cool cutout picture of a gear installed.  Different brand, same concept.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/SpeedoGearCalc.html

image.png

• Like 2