IGNORED

Rear Wheel Bearing Related

adivin

I was wondering if the rear wheel grease catch (the bracket that the wheel studs go through - part 56) can be eliminated without issue?  I am also converting the rear brakes to disk if that makes any difference.

Second, do you guys feel it's necessary to peen or stake the axle lock nut?

Rear Axle & Drive Shaft

49 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Find the very recent thread about that part.  Somebody mentioned that it actually keeps dirt, dust and water out of the bearing.  So, dirt, dust, and water would be the issue(s).

Use the 280ZX nuts.  They need neither.

Interesting, what is different about the 280zx axle nut that it doesn't need to be peened?

2 minutes ago, adivin said:

Thanks Captain!  So is this some sort of self-locking nut magic?  Is it a one-time use nut also?

If you look at the face (hex) side closely and you can just see the dimples at third spacing. That makes the nut self locking. Yes, they are supposed to be reuseble

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patcon said:

If you look at the face (hex) side closely and you can just see the dimples at third spacing. That makes the nut self locking. Yes, they are supposed to be reuseble

This is good info.  Can I use the original 240z washer with this nut?

Yes, you use the same original washer. Everything else is the same except for the nut.

Every distorted thread nut I've ever come across is listed as "one time use" and is non-reusable. That said, depending on the application, sometimes I violate that directive and reuse them. However for this application, I would not do that. I would get new ones. But if you do this job right, you hopefully won't be needing to go back in there again for a long time.

7 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yes, you use the same original washer. Everything else is the same except for the nut.

Every distorted thread nut I've ever come across is listed as "one time use" and is non-reusable. That said, depending on the application, sometimes I violate that directive and reuse them. However for this application, I would not do that. I would get new ones. But if you do this job right, you hopefully won't be needing to go back in there again for a long time.

I suppose if you're careful peening and un-peening the original nut, you could reuse it.  Just a theory.  I've never attempted this.

9 hours ago, adivin said:

I suppose if you're careful peening and un-peening the original nut, you could reuse it.  Just a theory.  I've never attempted this.

Removing the older peened axle nut destroys the top 3-4 threads of the axle shaft,  if you use a thin cutoff wheel with a Dremel and slice off the peened area before removing the nut the threads will survive.

• Like 1