IGNORED

Parts for Sale: 4x reproduction Nissan Fairlady Z432 wheels in aluminum

Sean Dezart

41 minutes ago, RIP260Z said:

As I seem to be the "cause" of "in the style of", here is my Kobe Seiko Z432 wheel (on the left) and one of my M-speed Z432 "style" wheels;

None of the differences mentioned above can happen if you cast/make a buck from an original Kobe wheel. Hence why I say the M-speed is in the style of.

Great post, and I think an excellent illustration of the fact that the authorship (and Intellectual Property) of the wheels in question is firmly in the hands of M-Speed Japan, as they are THEIR interpretation of the original Kobe Seiko styling.

On 10/3/2020 at 1:58 PM, RIP260Z said:

As I seem to be the "cause" of "in the style of", here is my Kobe Seiko Z432 wheel (on the left) and one of my M-speed Z432 "style" wheels;

DSCF3033.JPG

At a quick glance, let's start with the hub, the end hole is different shape, the M-speed is more tappered to the base of the wheel, and a wider circumferance at the bottom. The "spokes" radiating from the hub are a different shape, and are deeper set into the wheel on the Kobe one and thus taller. The four spaces on the outer are different, one longer and squatter (Kobe) while the M-speed is not as sqat and taller. And from therethe outer "spokes" are a slightly different shape too.There are probably others, but you get the drift. The Kobe is thicker in material, and is much more curved over all its features, while the M-speed is much more "machined" with more defined edges.

None of the differences mentioned above can happen if you cast/make a buck from an original Kobe wheel. Hence why I say the M-speed is in the style of.

Like Gav is doing, and the replicas made here in the UK (you just see the edge of a 15" "works replica wheel [top right] ) all stemmed from have an original Kobe wheel used as a buck or scanned. So all the design follows into the replica.

Great post, any reason you can see for the changes?  looks like the profile on the radius ins't the same also?

15 hours ago, Jason240z said:

Great post, any reason you can see for the changes?  looks like the profile on the radius ins't the same also?

Hi Jason,

I can’t answer for M-speed, but the reason for the changes could be them taking into consideration how the wheel is cast and/or machined, the offset they chose (if different). But I think it is more how M-speed “modernized” “ interpreted “ “put their stamp on” their design with homage to the original Kobe Seiko Z432 wheel, but still with a huge amount of influence.

On a side point of interest, Kobe Seiko could be said that they took their/Nissan’s design of the Z432 wheel (and Works rally wheel?) by making their own interpretation, and marketing it separately. Known as the Maglloy. It does look similar to the Z432/Works wheels, especially if you grind off the “Kobe Seiko maglloy” casts off the front of the wheel and machine the hub boss down (which Alan says he was told happened way back when original Z432 wheels were in short supply from being damaged/worn out, in Japan). can you spot what is missing in the photo?

Maglloy Yahoo1.jpg

I think it is also a 1970’s-ish “in period” design with a different variations thing going on. The 280zx “iron cross” wheel (did Kobe Seiko make them?) and Kobe did a 13”, see photo below.

i-img640x480-1577113543qhu90l333694.jpg

• Like 1

[emoji25]

So harsh, so true.
well, i've got an 'engine'

We’ll be 50 miles down the road from you in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you want a grease monkey (with a face mask) to help bolt bits on for few hours! I’m sure I can negotiate a half day break from family duties! [emoji256]
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...