IGNORED

Removing Door Panels

texasz

Originally posted by Z Kid

Getting these clips off the window winders does not have to be hard. Simply get an old piece of towel or rag, slide it down, then move it back and forth a few times, the clip will just pop straight off. As for refitting, fit the clip first then just slide the crank on.

I've been able to use a "thin" needle nosed pliers to grasp the clip from behind the handle and pull it off of the window crank.

Originally posted by texasz

To get the window crank clips off I used a slightly bent clothes hanger. I have not gotten to putting them back on yet as the repair is waiting on parts still.

To put the clips back on, just install the clip on the window crank, then carefully start the window crank on the splined nub. Then whack it with your HAND (not a tool). The clip will spread enough to slip over the splined nub and lock into the groove behind the splines. SIMPLE SIMON!

Just like Z Kid says!

• 5 years later...

It seems to me that there is optimal order to remove the clips. I looked at one of the dog leg pieces and noticed something about the direction of the clips. It has a keyway that is punched out of the hard board. The keyway seems to indicate which direction to put the clip prior to manufacturing/installation, but this also shows which way you have to apply pressure with your tool.

If you look at the second picture, you can see the little tab (tool is facing the direction you would push on the clip). You have to push on that tab and gently pull the clip out of the hole. Use extreme caution because it is very easy to pull too hard on the panel, while the metal tab hasn't been released, and this can cause the hard/cardboard to break.

Just remember, if you relieve pressure on the clip, the clip will pull out very easily. If it does not pull out easily, you are putting pressure on the hole in the cardboard.

If you look at the clip labeled #3, in picture 1, it seems like that clip would be much easier to access in clip #1 and clip #2 were removed first.

The tools shown in picture 1 are from Harbor Freight. It cost $5 for the set. I have not used the set to remove Datsun panels, but they are very cheap so you could sand them down with a belt sander to customize. The plastic is very strong, and I have used these for tons of random tasks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95214

Maybe if someone has a door panel, they could post a picture of that one in this thread.

post-18002-14150805618406_thumb.jpg

post-18002-14150805618683_thumb.jpg