IGNORED

Removing Door Panels

texasz

I use a stiff putty knife inserted carefully between the panel and the door to pry the panel away from the door. Start at one end and work your way around the panel. Use only enough force to pop the clips out of the receiver cups that are mounted into the door. Don't rush, and be careful and you should be OK if the panels are not already busted up from previous owner attempts to remove them.

I have to fix my drivers side door handle. Doesn't always catch when closing. I assume I am going to have to remove the door panel. What is this special door panel tool you guys are refering too (I know, I know, stuipd question) :stupid: but I am fairly new to this project car thing.

Thanks

Originally posted by jpac

I have to fix my drivers side door handle. Doesn't always catch when closing. I assume I am going to have to remove the door panel.

If the door doesn't latch properly it's more likely the striker plate on the door jamb that needs to be adjusted; not anything inside the door.

MikeW is right. Unless you have a problem with the lock mechanism INSIDE the door, there's little to be gained from opening the door up.

The only reason to jimmy with the internal mechanism is if the circcular cam doesn't rotate easily, the door handles inside or out or the door lock rod are having problems.

More than likely your door hinges are starting to wear and the door is starting to ride a bit lower, hence hitting the catch on the door sill. You can adjust the catch mechanism up & down as well as in & out to adjust for this, but eventually you may want to have the pins in the hinges replaced.

As far as what the tool looks like, think of a two tined fork, that has been flattened out and a V in between the tines instead of straight. (Sort of like a Dandelion Weed Puller) The tool surrounds the clip / insert with a flat section that then allows you to exert force on the surrounding material of the door panel.

FWIW

use the panel puller it is much better, and though you may have luck with a screwdriver and or a putty knife when you dont and you destroy that 32 year old card board behind that vynil well

i think i said enough.

if your panels are nice clean and straight then i wouldnt use anything else

That's what I thought, I'll go buy one.

I also don't have a choice on pulling them. On the pass side the outside handle will not open the door, only the inside handle. On the driver's side the outside handle will sometimes not open the door, this really sucks as it happened to me for the first time yesterday in the rain and I had to climb in through the hatch! :(

Originally posted by ZmeFly

use the panel puller it is much better, and though you may have luck with a screwdriver and or a putty knife when you dont and you destroy that 32 year old card board behind that vynil well

i think i said enough.

if your panels are nice clean and straight then i wouldnt use anything else

The store-bought tool is great to have, but if you don't have one the putty knive will work just fine as it actually spreads the "load" out over an even larger area of the pressboard. Just pry immediately next to the clips. Or, if you are like most of us, and have an old putty knife around, you can make your own tool by cutting a V shaped notch in the middle of the blade. Then you slip the knife under the panel, placing the clip in the "V" and pry up. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have used two putty knives, one on each side of the clips.

Yet, this is not the most problematic issue.

The issue is getting the window crank off and then sometimes harder getting it on.

The crank pin clip can be a pain. Use care. Maybe gets some help in holding the panel in and away so you can remove the clip with what ever works for you. I have used a tool that is made for brake shoe springs. Is like an awl, that has a 90deg turn in it. that gets it off, getting it one is up to you.

The panel lifts up to clear the window opening after releaseing all the clips that go into the door holes.'

PS, if there is still a clear vinyl over the door skin, heat the adhesive and carefully remove the plastic. Save it. Use it again. It seals the cold air from entering the car and keeps moisture off the door panel, etc.

Getting these clips off the window winders does not have to be hard. Simply get an old piece of towel or rag, slide it down, then move it back and forth a few times, the clip will just pop straight off. As for refitting, fit the clip first then just slide the crank on.