IGNORED

The Z Store Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Clyde60

I am interested to hear from anyone who has used a Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit purchased from The Z Store. Was it an easy install? Did everything fit without alteration etc? In particular I would like to know about the handbrake. The website says "and the original emergency brake cable is retained (70-76 Z)" .  How does the handbrake setup work? Once the calipers are installed, are the bleed nipples the right way up?

The price is reasonable for a bolt in conversion.

Any information is appreciated.

If you are talking about the basic kit, some people have commented having little improvement over the drum brakes and actually having problems via front and rear bias using the toyota 4-pot calipers up front.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic21m/24-5581

It's more bling bling than an improvement.

I have the standard setup with porterfiels pads AP114 RS-4 and shoes SHOE480 RS-4. Excellent result.

Mho: The common problem with "street" brake conversions is the R&D in the particular conversion. Yes the parts individually are sound and reliable, but the combination and balance is based on sometimes as little as a couple of parking lot runs to determine balance between front and rear. In conditions like an emergency stop at 100km/hr they can react completly different.

The standard system has gone through rigorous testing in the factory and years of custumer service. Restoring the brake system to original condition with better pad and shoe compounds is generally a better choice.

• Like 2

I have read several threads describing how none of the "kits" that are out there come with good instructions.  Everybody has problems, no matter where they get them.

You should call the ZStore and get the instructions before you buy.  Then you'll have an idea of how difficult the install will be.  No reason for any seller not to provide instructions before buying.  Most companies have instructions on a "Support" page on their web site.

@Joseph@TheZStore

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

I was looking at the Stage 1 kit. I have to completely rebuild the both front and rear brakes and thought I may as well take the opportunity to upgrade all round. I will ask for the instructions prior to any purchase, good advice.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Derek over on Hybridz is a really capable guy.  He has designed, cast, and built his own cylinder for the L6's, among many other things.  He is a member here also.  He had some comments about the ZCD kit.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/131360-rear-disk-kit-from-zcar-depot-anyone-using-it/

Ok so I suppose this is one not to get...

21 hours ago, adivin said:

Ok so I suppose this is one not to get...

I screwed up and posted a link to  Hybridz about a different kit.  Not the ZStore kit.  Looks Like Joseph at the ZStore never replied to my notification anyway.  Still, they should be able to send you the instructions before you buy.

But, as people are saying - why?

13 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I screwed up and posted a link to  Hybridz about a different kit.  Not the ZStore kit.  Looks Like Joseph at the ZStore never replied to my notification anyway.  Still, they should be able to send you the instructions before you buy.

But, as people are saying - why?

Why?  Why have people been hot rodding cars since forever?  Never mind the 3lb hammer to get the drums off...

Shouldn't need a hammer for the drums.

But, as you can see, none of the kits seem to be very well put together.  There's no way to pick a "best".  There is one advantage to the discs in that the pedal height varies less.  With drums, the pedal will drop a bit until the next click on the self-adjuster.

The Zstore kits look like they'll al give the same performance on the street.  They just do more work on getting the parts for you.  The more parts, the more expensive.  Performance about the same, except for maybe if you race, with the Stage 2 kit.

You could probably get their basic kit and do some Rockauto shopping and be done, for the best price.