IGNORED

Z Proto: The next z reveal

AZDatsun

6 hours ago, reefedjib said:

Sadly true. I like owning the classics. 350/370 look like a toad. I think Datsun got their original L24 inline-6 from BMW or maybe Porsche design. I forget. How about a 4.4L inline-6, Nissan?

Yup, the story has always been that Nissan copied the classic Mercedes 6 from the 1950's and 60's.  My dad had a 1959 Mercedes 219 (straight 6, overhead cam, single carb) and it looked like a simplified version of the photos above.  That Mercedes engine was a great one, and the Z engine was too.

6 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Yup, the story has always been that Nissan copied the classic Mercedes 6 from the 1950's and 60's.  My dad had a 1959 Mercedes 219 (straight 6, overhead cam, single carb) and it looked like a simplified version of the photos above.  That Mercedes engine was a great one, and the Z engine was too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

Mercedes Valve Train 4.png

mercedes-benz_m180.jpg post wwII for 220 mec.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 11:10 AM, 240260280 said:

mercedes-benz_m180.jpg post wwII for 220 mec.jpg

I think its interesting that some of the people who are evangelical about the similarities between Nissan's L-Gata engine range and the Mercedes M180 OHC engines and descendants are the very same people who want to deny that the L16 and L24 were direct descendants of Nissan's L20 six of 1964/65. 

We also get all the 'Made For The USA' stuff when the Mercedes engines had inlet and exhaust on the opposite side to the L-Gata. 

Funny old world, isn't it?

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

Weird Alan?  What exactly are you saying?  I never denied anything?  The path from Merc to Nissan is a muddy trail but it IS a trail.

Unless you've signed up to the 'Made For The USA' club, I didn't mean you in particular.

LOL....I do have opinions based on "Follow the money" data that point the the USA market for some business, safety, and technical decisions but without being in the shoes of the folks in Japan in the 60's, they are just opinions. They also varies with the components i.e. chassis, engine, suspension, etc.