Jump to content

IGNORED

Z Proto: The next z reveal


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, psdenno said:

If I was 24 again, I'd be standing in line, checkbook in hand.  However, at my current age, I think it would be easier to get out of Afghanistan than it would be to get out of the driver's seat of the new Z.  I'll stick with my '71.  😎

I didn't have that kind of money when I was 24.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bpilati said:

I didn't have that kind of money when I was 24.

I paid over sticker price in 1971 when I bought my Z to avoid a several month waiting list.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  The $4,200 I spent in 1971 is equal to $28,311, give or take, in 2021.  I had been living out of the country for a year and a half, the $4.200 represented well over six months of my military pay, and I needed a car.

I could not have guessed that I'd still be driving the car 50 years later.  Not sure if the new Z will stir the soul like the original, but if I was 24 I'd give it a try.  Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride!  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, siteunseen said:

This looks familiar...

Screenshot_20210818-165649_Samsung Internet.jpg

The screens are not called for in this car. Maybe the center stack one is with everyone having to be "connected", but the cluster should have been analog.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I pulled this from the Autoweek article.  It looks like they are not going with the name 400z.

  • Quote

    The 2023 Nissan Z will drop the numerical portion of its name for the US market.

     

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DC871F said:

The screens are not called for in this car. Maybe the center stack one is with everyone having to be "connected", but the cluster should have been analog.

I was referring to the horn button. Looks similar to the '75 and '76 280's to me?

Those LED gauges freak me out when they peg out then come back down when you first turn the key on. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mike said:

I pulled this from the Autoweek article.  It looks like they are not going with the name 400z.

  •  

So the first Z that will have no number attached to it. Reminds me of "New Beetle", eek. Hopefully the outcome will be better than VW's.

A theory though. In todays environment with this generations inability to latch onto something and stick with it, maybe there has been a paradigm shift to where no matter the product, the attention span of a flea will be the downfall of many great products. There are a few cars that were supposed to make a splash, but fizzled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I was referring to the horn button. Looks similar to the '75 and '76 280's to me?

Those LED gauges freak me out when they peg out then come back down when you first turn the key on. 

yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
So the first Z that will have no number attached to it. Reminds me of "New Beetle", eek. Hopefully the outcome will be better than VW's.
A theory though. In todays environment with this generations inability to latch onto something and stick with it, maybe there has been a paradigm shift to where no matter the product, the attention span of a flea will be the downfall of many great products. There are a few cars that were supposed to make a splash, but fizzled.



In addition to that I have a niggling thought back there telling me that people are more interested in the latest electric cars. I do wonder if that will affect it. Then again we in Europe where electrification is the new fad aren’t worthy of it so maybe it will be fine in the US and RoW.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Car are way too complicated today. Manufactured obsolescence is a business model. All the plastic and electronics are meant to be thrown away not repaired. If the 12” screen fails in 10 years good luck replacing it or pay a fortune.
We have this problem in military aviation. We are forced to upgrade perfectly good items across the fleet because nobody makes the parts anymore. In order to incentivize manufacturing we would pay crazy amounts for otherwise very inexpensive parts.
Car companies don’t want your to keep you car more than 10 yrs. I once owned a BMW. The pasts were so outrageous I got rid of it. $1800 for one headlight assembly because it would follow the road. The car had more plastic than a Las Vegas stripper. Plastic coolant parts?
There is beauty in simplicity. You can almost keep your classic Z running forever with little cost because it simple proven technology. The second part of the auto problem is government regulations which continue adding complexity and cost to cars. The new infrastructure bill just passed by the Senate requires all US cars to have Drunk Driver Detection systems installed at manufacturing. This drives car prices out of reach of the lower income population segments and makes repair and maintenance outrageous. There are always unintended consequences of regulation.
I’m curious to see what Nissan gives us but their recent history isn’t giving me much confidence. As far as EVs, they’re coming like it or not. Won’t be long before you are guilted to sell your gas powered vehicle or the government forces your hand like CA has done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DC871F said:

So the first Z that will have no number attached to it.

Not the case. S30-S and S30-D, Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L started the ball rolling for the S30-series and the tradition was carried through subsequent generations. The '240Z' name was an afterthought.

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I was referring to the horn button. Looks similar to the '75 and '76 280's to me?

How about 1969:

 

69-Full-Range-Cat-2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

The '75s and '76s have the outward profile where my '72 and '77 are the indented style. I hope I'm describing that correctly? 

Thank you for replying.

I was thinking more of the big letter 'Z' in the middle of it...

i.e. Not 'Datsun'. My theory is that the designers were probably not looking at '75 and '76 year steering wheels for detail inspiration.

Same goes for the quarter emblems. The press and the talking heads are babbling about "the 240Z" references in the styling details, but the new car's quarter emblems seem to me to be referencing the original Japanese market 'Z' quarter emblems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

 Won’t be long before you are guilted to sell your gas powered vehicle or the government forces your hand like CA has done.

Well, one part of the Government.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Not the case. S30-S and S30-D, Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L started the ball rolling for the S30-series and the tradition was carried through subsequent generations. The '240Z' name was an afterthought.

How about 1969:

 

69-Full-Range-Cat-2.jpg

In the States they always had the numerical identification. I get your drift though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2021 at 2:00 PM, DC871F said:

So the first Z that will have no number attached to it. Reminds me of "New Beetle", eek. Hopefully the outcome will be better than VW's.

A theory though. In todays environment with this generations inability to latch onto something and stick with it, maybe there has been a paradigm shift to where no matter the product, the attention span of a flea will be the downfall of many great products. There are a few cars that were supposed to make a splash, but fizzled.

The engine size is irrelevant with new technology and turbocharging. Future electrification also would be a factor. Nissan Z is the logical resolution for the badging convention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bpilati said:

The engine size is irrelevant with new technology and turbocharging. Future electrification also would be a factor. Nissan Z is the logical resolution for the badging convention.

Good point. It's not like electric motors have a displacement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfffft to what it looks like, the thing is it uses the 370Z structure and that car never made on the track. So have Nissan kidnapped some chassis experts to sort the thing out with some better grip controllable on the limit and comparable with the Euros? This would not cost a lot of money just a determination to do it right like they did in 1969.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 260DET said:

...the thing is it uses the 370Z structure and that car never made on the track.

Plenty of Z34-based race cars have been built and used in anger. They even had a Spec Series for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 260DET said:

Pfffft to what it looks like, the thing is it uses the 370Z structure and that car never made on the track. So have Nissan kidnapped some chassis experts to sort the thing out with some better grip controllable on the limit and comparable with the Euros? This would not cost a lot of money just a determination to do it right like they did in 1969.

I suspect the answer to that will be available shortly after the vehicle goes into full production. I'm not sure what "never made it on the track" means, as there are plenty of them in competitive racing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I'm not sure what "never made it on the track" means, as there are plenty of them in competitive racing. 

If I didn't see it, it doesn't exist. Kind of like how a lot of Americans say Nissan didn't make a 260Z in 1977. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.