IGNORED

Arghhhh Harada Intake Manifold

The only function of that arm on the front is for anchoring one end of the return spring? Seems like they could have put that somewhere else.

Is there a center support tower? If there is, maybe on the rear side of that? Maybe at the back between the rearmost tower and the flange for connecting to the shepherd's hook?

Does that use a custom adjustable length shepherd's hook?

13 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Thanks Alan!

I'll install w/o the thermostat housing then grind off the unused hose fitting on the side of the housing that interferes and weld shut to prevent leaks.

I have ~ 6 spare thermostat housing but none w/o side fittings.  The later 260 and 280z have even more bits on the side.

Here is an internet picture of a similar protruding fitting:

240Z Thermostat Housing kit | DATSUN SPIRIT, INC.

I'm stating the obvious here, but - of course - that fitting is usually deleted completely and replaced with a flush plug when converting to triple carbs. That's hardly Harada Shokai's responsibility, and it certainly doesn't make their manifold a "POS". Wind your neck in.

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

The only function of that arm on the front is for anchoring one end of the return spring? Seems like they could have put that somewhere else.

No, it's a design that was based on the earliest Nissan Sports/Race Option triple carb inlet manifolds for the L-gata, subsequently adopted by the likes of Tomei and Datsun Competition in the USA. It properly accommodates the linkage to the front carburettor - the Sports/Race Option Mikuni 40PHH and 44PHH having their throttle linkages on the LEFT side of the carb body viewed from the carb inlet side - and gives the main linkage rod full support where it is most needed, unlike the 'rod end' type supports which typically hang the front linkage off the end of the main rod.

Harada Shokai also chose to put a fully-adjustable main rod return spring on the end of the main rod, and it is a good solution - used by other manufacturers such as the early Sanyo Shokai manifolds. It works. 

For reference, Nissan Works items:

Works-M-102291.JPG

PTE-Eng-06-156.JPG

PTE-Eng-06-159.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Installed a Harada manifold on my 3.1 last weekend. Car started right up and sounded excellent. Only issue is I had to drill out the vacuum plug on the manifold. Big bummer I had to remove the manifold after the car started up perfectly.  Anyone know the thread type and size ? Bspt ?