IGNORED

14 Project Zs For Sale - Includes Six 240Zs on Craigslist Spokane

25 minutes ago, 240Z-Fan said:

I too feel saddened that these cars are becoming unreachable for the average person. Seeing #1 and #2 cars go into six figures means they aren't a car that will be driven and enjoyed by average guys. The days of driving one to work or school as daily driver are long gone, and my fear of something happening to mine when I go out or on a roadtrip is stressful as I am unlikely to be able to easily replace it.

Jeff, I recall seeing your car and talking to you at Gingerman shortly after you built it.  I still run track days (in a Miata) and have been looking for a Z to run. Sadly, I also see that dream slipping away as the cars become more collectible.  About a year ago, I went to an estate sale and saw a Z for sale that was in somewhat rough shape. I considered buying it to turn into my track car, but couldn't bring myself to do that to a car that could be restored and enjoyed by someone else.  I prefer to find a car that has already been converted to a race/track car. It seems like finding the right one for the right price may never happen.

Luis

The only good thing (I guess) is that for some reason, track cars aren't bringing any money.  I've seen many older-built ITS Z's sell for very little money.  The same condition Z without a cage tends to bring far more money even though the race Z is likely more solid, better running and better cared for than the typical project car.  That's why turning a decent project car into a race car is a losing proposition.  If I ever need another race Z, the best option by far is to buy one that was built as a race car years ago and has been collecting dust.

Jeff,

That is true. Lower end Spec Miata race cars can be bought cheaper than what I built my track miata car for.

I missed the SCCA 240z race car posted here that was in Minneapolis for 5k. It looked promising. Other than that, the few cars I have seen were either not well built or priced higher than I could justify for a track car. Not to say they aren't out there, I haven't looked that hard as I have too many cars and hobbies demanding my time.

But... if you see another one,  feel free to let me know!   I am also looking forward to seeing your car on the track again.

Luis

16 minutes ago, 240Z-Fan said:

But... if you see another one,  feel free to let me know!   I am also looking forward to seeing your car on the track again.

Luis

One just popped today on FB.  $5000 for a rolling chassis EP car.

106063203_3050574368330658_1266382387556

Edited by Jeff G 78

On 6/26/2020 at 7:06 PM, Marty Rogan said:

I think that car belongs to a guy I used to work with many years ago.  He was a racer and lived in the Rockford area.

It's Don Bunt's car.  He might have been a member here at some point in the past.  I know the name, though I don't know him.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, Jeff G 78 said:

It's Don Bunt's car.  He might have been a member here at some point in the past.  I know the name, though I don't know him.

Yes it is.  I knew Don back in the day when he was featured in a magazine article following his racing career.  I believe he was a member of this site back then as well.