IGNORED

Clutch Issue

afausn

Went to start my 1971 240Z project car the other day and the clutch does not disengage.  Checked the forum and figured it was the Master or Slave cylinder.  Ordered and replaced both, but only get about 3/4 inch travel on the slave cylinder after bleeding the system.  What is my next step?  Looking for any answers that you all may have.  Many thanks.

14 minutes ago, afausn said:

Went to start my 1971 240Z project car the other day and the clutch does not disengage.  Checked the forum and figured it was the Master or Slave cylinder.  Ordered and replaced both, but only get about 3/4 inch travel on the slave cylinder after bleeding the system.  What is my next step?  Looking for any answers that you all may have.  Many thanks.

It would be helpful if you would provide a history of work completed since last in working order. Did you replace your clutch?

Drove the car last summer a few times without issue.  Stored in the garage over the winter and went to start it this spring to take it out.  Clutch would not work.  No resistance felt in the clutch pedal at all.  Checked the fluid and then the forum, and figured it was the master or slave cylinder, so replaced both of them. Fluid was dark black and a bit thick.  Flushed the lines as well, and have bleed the system, but only get about 3/4 inch of travel on the slave cylinder.  Not sure what my next step is.

New cylinders can be bad out of the box.  Pull the dust boot off of the slave cylinder and see if there's fluid in it.  There should not be, it should be dry.

p.s. how did you bleed the system?  Maybe you didn't get all of the air out.

Edited by Zed Head

2 hours ago, afausn said:

Drove the car last summer a few times without issue.  Stored in the garage over the winter and went to start it this spring to take it out.  Clutch would not work.  No resistance felt in the clutch pedal at all.  Checked the fluid and then the forum, and figured it was the master or slave cylinder, so replaced both of them. Fluid was dark black and a bit thick.  Flushed the lines as well, and have bleed the system, but only get about 3/4 inch of travel on the slave cylinder.  Not sure what my next step is.

Your Clutch Disc is most likely rusted and stuck to the flywheel. Put it out of gear and start the engine, warm it up and charge the battery. After its warmed up shut it off. Push the car out on the street, put it in 1st gear and start the engine (with the car in gear). Get it rolling about 15 to 20 mph - push the clutch pedal to the floor, at the same time you give it some gas and pull the Emergency Brake HARD!  (to stop the rear wheels from turning - while keeping the engine running). That should break the clutch disc free of the flywheel. Might have to do it a couple times.  When it breaks free you'll feel the clutch pedal regain some resistance (feel normal).

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.  I need to update my profile as I am now in Rhode Island, but same issue with being close to the coast, and a lot more humid here thank in San Diego.  I got the clutch broken free as Carl Beck suggested.  Many thanks.  I then adjusted the rod on the slave cylinder and can now feel more pressure on the clutch pedal, but still not quite right.  I can start it in gear with the clutch depressed, but have trouble putting it in gear with the engine running.  Also, when I drive it, it appears that the clutch is slipping when I punch it.  Will play with it for a few days.  Step 1, re-bleed the clutch system.  I used a vacuum system to bleed it this last time.  Also, the slave cylinder came with the bleed valve installed under the hose line, where as the previous slave cylinder had the bleed valve above the hose line.  I swapped them out to be like the original was, figuring air goes up and will bleed better if it is coming off the top of the slave vice at the bottom.  Hopefully that will get me the travel that I need on the slave cylinder rod now that the clutch plate is broken free from the flywheel.  Again, thanks for helping me out.  I want to get started on my project car, and am grateful for the responses on this forum.  

• Like 1