IGNORED

ring gap posistion

Dave WM

4 hours ago, ETI4K said:

Another solution to the ring gap spacing issue would be to use Total Seal's Gapless Rings.

I've heard good things about those total seals. If I were doing a more in-depth rebuild on this motor, I would have considered those. But for this motor, I'm just honing and throwing stock rings back in.

How did they work for you? You like the way it turned out?

And yes, I'm with you. I would still stagger the gaps too. Even though it seems to matter even less.  Haha!

3 hours ago, Namerow said:

When I bought my first motorcycle as a teenager (a Yamaha two-stroke ), one of the performance mods I made was swapping in Wiseco pistons.

Mine was a Suzuki, but, me too!

And me too!

:victorious:   Suzuki T-350 with Wisecos!!

Edited by Captain Obvious

And the two stroke cylinder had the tapered opening so you could get the rings in.  CO built what is essentially a two stroke engine cylinder.  Maybe  the same for the four strokes.

Edited by Zed Head

CO: There were so many issues affecting my engine's performance back then (such as an undersized exhaust, all stock emissions controls, questionable injectors, etc.) that when I changed over from TS rings to standard design types, I couldn't really tell a major difference at the ball of my foot. 

That said, I was astonished when I did my first 3K mile oil change with conventional rings.  With the TS rings, the oil was CLEAN!  Conventional rings, not close.

Anyway, THIS build gets TS rings again.  BTW, I'm not embarrassed to admit I can fall for the placebo effect.  "Oohh yeahh, those gapless rings are the *hit.  I bet I got another 20HP!!".

Tongue planted firmly in cheek...

I remember two 2 stroke street bike motorcycles. My Dad had a red Yamaha RD 350 and a friend had a Suzuki GT 750. I had a KX 80 and that fast little bike changed my life, damn power band! I can hardly walk now from the wrecks I've had on those two wheelers.

Yamaha RD350 Relaunch Possible as XSR300 Release Date Nears!

Suzuki GT750

Edited by siteunseen

That's a fantastic bike! I rode a YZ490 4 speed once and couldn't keep the handlebars out of my face. That thing was like a rocket. 

I couldn't kick one over now. If it doesn't have a battery I can't start one.

I apologize for getting off point on this guys thread but I need some good memories right now. Thank you for allowing me to play. :beer:

Oh it's YOUR thread! Thank you once again. Cliff

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Got it. Hoover sent me some used condoms along with the other stuff in the care package. They look good, so I'll use them again.    LOL

I sent him a pm. I haven't seen any post lately. I know he works weird spurts of time so I'm waiting on a reply. Can't do without Hoover. 

8 hours ago, ETI4K said:

I was astonished when I did my first 3K mile oil change with conventional rings.  With the TS rings, the oil was CLEAN!  Conventional rings, not close.

Anyway, THIS build gets TS rings again.  BTW, I'm not embarrassed to admit I can fall for the placebo effect.  "Oohh yeahh, those gapless rings are the *hit.  I bet I got another 20HP!!".

Haha! Thanks for the insights. And I hope it's not all placebo effect. At least the oil cleanliness couldn't have been placebo!

If this were a "build" instead of a "refresh", I'd probably go that route. Maybe on the next one!

Nice bikes guys! I don't have any pics of my old crop duster in electronic form. I'm sure I've got a bunch on film squirreled away in a box somewhere. If I turn something up, I'll post up a pic.

It was a rocket in it's time. I think the only thing faster was that wacky Kawasaki triple thing.

I owned a water buffalo for several years.  Rode year round, in the rain, sun, cold, whatever.  Loved every second of it.  Thanks for the posting the pic.  I hadn't thought about that bike in a long time!

Sorry, if I am extending the off-post commentary.  As I've said before, I get easily distracted. especially by fun stuff.