IGNORED

MSA Sway Bar Kit for 240z -- Experience?

MSA Sway Bar Kit, 70-73 240Z, Front 1", Rear 7/8"

Anyone ordered and implemented this on a 240z?  I'm about to replace the suspension with KYB shocks + Eibach springs, and figured I'd order these, too.  But, they are on back order for a while. 

Was it worth the investment?  The suspension is completely shot right now. And it does roll, but not sure how much that'll be helped by the new springs/shocks.

Edited by Dadsun

I’ve been considering this for sometime now and called MSA last week to potentially place an order! ;)

A wise man once told me it’s the best mod he ever did to any of his S30s. His philosophy was road soft suspension with hard ARBs is the way to get the best of all worlds on the road.

I have also read that people who had them went back to stock as they found the car just too harsh.

While it eliminated roll, it also makes one wheel more reluctant to lift over a bump without trying to lift the other side.

I guess it also depends on what you want your car to be and the wheel size you are running + what the tyre wall does in conjunction.

This is a great read ...

https://www.zcar.com/threads/msa-sway-bar-kit-is-it-worth-it.291965/

I'd read a few threads about the mods, but hadn't seen that one. "If ya wanna race, update, if ya wanna date, don't race." Lol.

The previous owner handed me the 4-set of KYB gas shocks in their boxes, so I'm going with them. I added the eibach progressive springs to the mix, and based on comments from people I have also ordered the spacers for the back because the eibach springs make the back end sit a little lower in the wheel well than the front. 

Not to mention, I already feel like I'm looking uphill sitting in the car now. Backend is shot and pretty much bottoming out on the tiniest bump. I think I'd rather the turns be handled well and I'll just have to take it easy over speed bumps. Sounds like that means the sway bar kits might be a good option for me. 

Edited by Dadsun
  • Like 2

I'd read a few threads about the mods, but hadn't seen that one. "If ya wanna race, update, if ya wanna date, don't race." default_laugh.png.

I know, too funny!!

So chap, as you know yourself, the ARBs won’t fix the bottoming out bit, that’s just a function of your compression on the shocks + spring rates. Mine on Tockico blues and stock European springs tends to travel quite a long way down on loaded high speed WOT compressions at say 50MPH. It gets to within 1cm of my exhaust S pipe (don’t ask how I know this precise measurement, long story).

Hence I was considering stiffening the suspension also with the new Koni adjustable inserts that only seem to have positive reviews to date. The KYBs are tried and tested, it’s a good idea to stick them in just to see the difference it makes, worst case, you swap them out later. Your ride height though (without coil-overs) is a function of springs only. Are the spacers you speak of for the springs? If so, I have never heard of those - any chance you could share the link please?

3 hours ago, Dadsun said:

Backend is shot and pretty much bottoming out on the tiniest bump. I think I'd rather the turns be handled well and I'll just have to take it easy over speed bumps. Sounds like that means the sway bar kits might be a good option for me. 

While you have your struts apart for new springs and shocks do yourself a big favour and get four urethane foam bump stops.

https://www.polyperformance.com/eibach-micro-cellular-foam-shaft-bump-stop

When you go over railroad tracks or a big pot hole you don't get the bone jarring thump that you get with rubber or solid urethane bump stops.  The lowering springs reduce the amount of travel in the shock, the foam bump stops make sure it is a gradual stop.

Edited by grannyknot

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

While you have your struts apart for new springs and shocks do yourself a big favour and get four urethane foam bump stops.

https://www.polyperformance.com/eibach-micro-cellular-foam-shaft-bump-stop

When you go over railroad tracks or a big pot hole you don't get the bone jarring thump that you get with rubber or solid urethane bump stops.  The lowering springs reduce the amount of travel in the shock, the foam bump stops make sure it is a gradual stop.

Thanks. Hmmm. Would you know if those are compatible with the KYB shocks + Eibach springs I plan to use?

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I have them on Illumina shocks with Eibach springs on my Z, they work great.

Do you know offhand if the shaft bumper is 5/8" or 7/8"? They list two products.