IGNORED

5 Speed Transmission inspection and possible rebuild.

Av8ferg

BTW, I might hold off on buying that Omega Bushing that EuroDat had in the parts list. I don’t see how it’s a problem. Am I missing something? I put the rear housing back on after calling a transmission repair shop. The guy said do a test fit see if there is play? Noting even touches this bushing as far as I can see. What have I missed? He said he can replace it but to see first is there is play and unless I’m missing another part that comes in the other side I can’t tell if this is required or not. I feel like an idiot. The transmission idea was beyond my pay grade. I just want it to go away with minimal risk. I tried hammering it how using a socket that fit right on the bushing lip. Didn’t budge and I didn’t want to mushroom to end of the bushing so I stopped.
See pic.
274887b6d624e2f2ade8864a79e6db94.jpg
69cae71e10c41cd7a5f335dd8a428b43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall it being kinda scary getting it out. understand the fear factor. Did you decide what you are going to do about the remaining bearing shield? Your shop guy may be the way to go. on the bushing removal you need a socket that fits well. A press would be better to avoid mushrooming, but IIRC I was able to hammer it (scared while doing).

Nice explanation Dave.  What BTW is “Coal Juice, you refer too?  I think I can do this.  So you heated the flange before trying to tap it out?   How hard we you wailing on this before it started moving?  I guess this a the prudent thing to do.  I’ll try not to Jerry Lewis the hell-out of this thing.  Once you start you’re committed....no going back.  Did you get the same omega Bush that EuroDat had mentioned? 

Slip the slip yoke in to the end of the transmission and wiggle it around.  You should also check the slip yoke surface for wear, it can get grooved if somebody let the seal wear out.  I haven't seen a spec for play, I think it's kind of a gut feel thing.

It will feel looser without the seal in place.

image.png

I don't have a yoke available.  Its in the car.  I guess I'll just roll the dice and try not to screw this up and follow Dave WM.   Also, I'm going to leave that other side of the bearing in.   When the transmission blows up driving to Nashville going over the mountains (if that ZCon happens), I'll then have time to reflect on my decisions I made today.  

• Like 1