IGNORED

240Z Distributor Questions

rcv

5 hours ago, rcv said:

1) One of the springs is completely missing.  Nobody seems to have these in stock anywhere. I suppose I could run with just one spring for a while, but it's not ideal.

Haha!! Glad to help!    :beer:

Advice? Don't try to operate with just one spring. That will throw off the mechanical advance curve. Too much advance at too low of an RPM.

I think distributors are easy to find. Might be easier to replace the whole thing than to get one spring.

I've got a 240 distributor that came to me disassembled and incomplete... Don't know what year it's from though. What is the number on the side of yours?

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

What is the number on the side of yours?

It looks like mine is a D612-52. If yours has compatible parts I'd happily take it off your hands. Send me a DM and we can talk details if you're up for letting it go.

I'm definitely in favor of using this distributor for a while until I go off the deep end with something more extreme. Even then I like the idea of having a trusty mechanical distributor in the glovebox in case the electronics breakdown (or someone lights off an EMP ?).

If you're parts aren't compatible I'd still like to try to revive this thing.  Has anyone tried finding the right springs on e.g. McMaster-Carr?  I figure if I can find the specs (k-value, free length, diameter, etc) for the originals I should be able to find a suitable replacement somewhere.

IMG_1066.jpeg

Well I found the distributor basket case I was thinking about, and it's a D6K82, so I was apparently very wrong about it being from a 240. In fact, the info I have indicates it's at the complete other end of the spectrum and came from an 83 Non-turbo.

But here's the good news... The mechanical advance specs are similar to your D612, and if your distributor is SUPPOSED to have two springs, then I would assume that using one spring from my basket case is going to be way closer to the original design than just one spring. in yours

So short story? Whatever you want from this distributor is yours for the shipping. Just let me know.

Here's something interesting.  Somehow, the part number for a spring and a distributor are the same in carpartsmanual.  I found a complete distributor $96.80.  That's what it says anyway.  It's a "from Sept. 71" model.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/distributor/240z/for-manual/from-sep-71

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-distributor~22100-n3300.html

Nice find @Zed Head!  I just ordered it so we'll see what I get.  It looks like these guys are only a few miles from me in El Monte, so I can storm over there with my N95 on and demand a refund if they just sold me a spring for $100.  @Captain Obvious I'll save you the trip to the post office until I see what arrives from nissanpartsdeal.com - I may come begging again though if this turns out to be a bust.  I very much appreciate the offer!

I also found the two spring parts (22110-E4602 and 22110-N3300) on concord-parts.com when I was hunting around late last night.  I have no idea if these guys are legit, but they only take payment by "Wire Transfer" which was more hassle than I wanted to deal with at midnight.  I emailed them at least to see if they actually have those parts, so I'll post their response here in case anyone else is in my same situation.

I have extra springs if you need them. I might even have a breaker plate I got off a 280z. They’re different than the ZX plates but not sure how it compares to a 240z.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk