IGNORED

What's the most needed Z part that's currently NLA?

Namerow

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

dkw 1000SP is a beauty

A miniature 1957 Ford Thunderbird.

On that same note, a well-known early-60's Ferrari owner once remarked that he sold his 250GTE because the front end styling eventually just reminded him too much of a 1957 Thunderbird. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

Unless you have a roll bar, please ditch your four-point harness!

Lots of different ways to die or get badly hurt in a car.  The shoulder belt is there to keep you off the steering column and IP and away from the windshield in a forward impact situation.  I don't have the stats at hand, but I'm pretty sure that your chances of getting into a forward-impact collision are a lot higher than those of being involved in a roll-over.  Your results may vary, of course.  No question that a Z's windshield structure is relatively flimsy compared to those in modern cars, but it and the Z's roof structure are a long way ahead of the windshield-frame-only protection offered by an old-tech convertible like the DKW.  I'll keep my shoulder belt, thanks.

40 minutes ago, Namerow said:

No question that a Z's windshield structure is relatively flimsy compared to those in modern cars, but it and the Z's roof structure are a long way ahead of the windshield-frame-only protection offered by an old-tech convertible like the DKW.  I'll keep my shoulder belt, thanks.

The price we pay for a beautiful design.

hormone-replacement-and-hair-loss-baumanaj-a4m-2012-3-638.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments folks.  It appears I kick started a bit bit of discussion (good) at the risk of going off-topic (naughty).

To clarify, my car (photo attached) was not the T-Bird look-alike "SP", which was based on the 750cc "Junior."  My car was the basic two door ,1 litre four seater sedan known as both the 1000 and the 3=6, and sold under the names of both DKW and Auto Union (sort of like Plymouth and Dodge, Ford and Mercury,  Chev and Pontiac, Austin and Morris).  Great fun actually, provided one kept a minimum of three wheels on the ground at all times.  

Respectfully, I stand by my comment on seat-belt / shoulder -harness safety.  As the driver, I have some measure of protection in case of a head-on in that I'm holding the steering wheel and have my arms as a shock absorber, but in the case of a roll-over I have absolutely nothing between me and a collapsing roof.  

ps  Bonus Question:  What is the meaning of the 3=6 model name?

1 hour ago, Richard McDonel said:

What is the meaning of the 3=6 model name?

DKW 2-stroke 3-cylinder delivers the equivalent of a 6-cylinder 4-stroke

7 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

This will get it back on track 🙂

Good illustration of why you should never roll your Z.

And now, back to our original program...

• Like 1

I have no iron in the fire , just a relatable incident back in the seventies. I was a passenger in my friend's TR4A IRS when the left front wheel came off. (knock-offs) In very short order we were upside down, sliding down the tarmac. The car had no roll bar. We both bonked heads as we tried to get as low in the car as possible. The bonked heads and few strawberries where we briefly touched down were our only injuries. The Triumph was totaled. 

Y'all are getting in the "no helment" debate for motorcycle riders. 

I don't want an iron in the fire but I wouldn't through my leg over a bike without a full face helmet on. Me, my personal choice. I still have shards of glass that work their way to the top of my eyebrow from a wreck in 2001 and that was a crash with Ray Bans on. LOL

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1