IGNORED

77-78 Fuel Sending Unit

Av8ferg

Have you guys noticed that there are now new fuel sending units for 77-78’s available at Zcardepot? I had been looking for one for sometime when I bought my car and they were no place to be found, even used. Has anyone bought one of these. I had considered having my refurbished awhile back but is was about $200 to do that so I decided I could spend that money better elsewhere. This looks like a good but if they’re any good.

https://zcardepot.com/products/copy-of-fuel-tank-gauge-sending-unit-sender-240z-260z-280z-70-78?variant=31387184595057&currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI19TayNe96AIVEXiGCh0PWQgNEAQYASABEgLk-_D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I received the fuel sender today and got it installed. I'm impressed with the build quality of it and there are only couple of minor differences from an OEM one.  They are the same size and length, has the correct bends, the alignment notch is correct, sweeps up quicker than before and it fits just fine. It even comes with a new gasket.  The only problem I have is that where the low fuel light never worked before, now it's on all the time, even with a full tank.  I don't think the sender is the cause just yet so I've got some exploring to do.

• Like 2

Problem solved.  A long while back I had replaced all the dash lights with LED's.  There was an LED  instead of an incandescent bulb in the fuel warning indicator and as explained by @captainobvious in another thread explaining how the fuel warning light worked here:

I figured since the LED requires a lot less energy to light up compared to an OEM bulb and with a constant draw from the warning light on the fuel sensor, it would always be "on". I changed it back to a regular incandescent bulb and now it's off with the tank full.  I'll just have to run out a full tank of gas to check that it lights up close to empty.  If it works, and I think it will, I'll have two extra 77-78 fuel senders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gwri8 said:

Problem solved.  A long while back I had replaced all the dash lights with LED's.  There was an LED  instead of an incandescent bulb in the fuel warning indicator and as explained by @captainobvious in another thread explaining how the fuel warning light worked here:

I figured since the LED requires a lot less energy to light up compared to an OEM bulb and with a constant draw from the warning light on the fuel sensor, it would always be "on". I changed it back to a regular incandescent bulb and now it's off with the tank full.  I'll just have to run out a full tank of gas to check that it lights up close to empty.  If it works, and I think it will, I'll have two extra 77-78 fuel senders.

Sometimes we get lucky and lightning strikes in the middle of the night with the possible solution! I'm glad it was a simple fix and all of us that have swapped to LEDs will benefit from your experience. Thanks !